Printers

Reaction score
Hi all

Im quite a novice linux user and am trying to set a printer up and share it using samba. After an hour i managed to get it printing a test page an in a basic editor it takes the paper through but doesnt print anyone and ive managed to kinda share it using samba, my xp machine can see the printer there and will install it but says access denied so wont print anything.

Does anyone know any good tutorials for doing this or any tips or anything else like that.

The distro is mandrake 9.2
The printer is a samsung ML4500

Thanx.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I reckon that Linux driver Mucks supplied a link to should do the trick.

I could never get my Samsung ML4600 mono laser printer to work with MD 9.2, but that was a while ago now. My HP 843C inkjet worked OK though.

Reaction score
ok real quick on the topic of printers, we have an old 850c (7 or 8 years maybe? old LPT connection but the quality is not bad, you can see that Flops tomorrow) and when a document errors, the darn thing decides to print a smiley face and some symbols on EVERY piece of paper in the loading tray!!!

any ideas? all drivers are correct.

i am NOT thread hijacking - sorry if it seems that way...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well well, I thought I was the only one who had that problem with my HP 843C.

If there's an error of some sort, and it may only be issuing a print instruction while printer is turned off - it goes crazy, continually printing small amounts of gibberish on every page until it's turned off.

Only way I've been able to overcome this is to cancel all print jobs, disconnect both power and data connections from printer and reboot. Then reconnect printer cables, it's OK then. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I haven't encountered this prob with later HP Printers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... the darn thing decides to print a smiley face and some symbols on EVERY piece of paper in the loading tray!!!
It’s not that uncommon for a "parallel" printer to exhibit such a tantrum.

However, there are a few simple rules to follow that may alleviate the "problem" ...

Your first point of call should be the BIOS ... most motherboards cannot "see" what type of printer is attached to your system so YOU need to tell it ... you're printer manual should tell you what the setting is.

BIOS settings listed in order from most primitive to least primitive.
  • 1. Output only
  • 2. Standard
  • 3. SPP
  • 4. Bi-directional
  • 5. EPP
  • 6. ECP

... normally you would only see 3-4 of the above settings listed in the BIOS.
Most commonly found are;

• [*]SPP

[*]EPP

[*]ECP

Most printers do not come with a "printer cable", thankfully this practice is changing, so it is up to you to purchase the correct cable ... no they are not all the same ... The newer printers require either a Bi-directional cable or a IEEE-1284 cable, again, consult the printer manual. The EPP (enhanced parallel Port) mode usually needs the IEEE-1284 compliant cables. This is most likely the mode you should be running. Also bear in mind the cable should be no more than 8feet in length.

Reaction score
yeah i know about the bios setting but all new to me about the cable! been using same one for years, not on same PC though...

Ask a Question