Printer Sharing Turning Off By Itself

Steve

I have a small network of 3 computers that share a printer. All computers
have Windows XP Pro SP2.

Lately, for no apparent reason, when I power on the computer with the
locally connected printer, printer sharing is turned off. I have to go to
the "printers and faxes" screen and turn on printer sharing again for that
printer.

Is there any way to make this option stay on even if the computer is powered
off and then powered on again?

Why is this happening?

Thanks.

Steve

Jason Tan

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that a local shared printer always turn off its sharing when
it is powered off. If there is no disc in the drive, it does not run. If I
have misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my experience, it seems that there have some third-party
services/applications messing up the sharing the printer. I would like to
provide you with the following suggestions.

Step 1: Please update the printer driver to the latest version.

Step 2: Please boot the system into Safe Mode environment and test the
issue. Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode configuration, disabling
Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA display adapter.

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On
a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems,
you can press the F8 key when you see the Boot Menu.
2. In "Windows Advanced Option Menu", use the arrow keys to select Safe
Mode, and then press ENTER.
3. If you are running other operating systems on the computer, click
Microsoft Windows on the list that is displayed and then press ENTER.

If the issue disappears, please perform a Clean Boot.

Step 3: Use Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference.

The issue could be caused by some third party application. To isolate the
influence of additional applications, please boot the system into a Clean
Boot environment to see whether this problem continues:

1. Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard, the mouse
left.
2. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
5. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support