Printer cycles on/off when connected to USB port

Reaction score
A Brother MFC-490CW continues to cycle On and Off whenever the USB cable is connected to the PC ... an eMachines T3626 running Windows Vista. The same MFC-490CW installed on a laptop running Windows 2000 works fine. Brother support suggests that the problem is with the USB controller settings or firmware. eMachines offers no support. Suggestions please!

Reaction score
Yeah, as Abs said. Try a different port, and make sure that you are using the latest drivers, also make sure that you install the printer drivers from the website, not from the CD, because, the ones from the CD aren't always the most recent.

Reaction score
Tried another port and install

I tried a different port on the eMachines PC before trying the install on the Windows 2000 laptop. In the meantime, the software installed and the MFC-490CW worked perfectly on a Dell PC running XP, SP3. The eMachines PC was purchased about a year and a half ago to replace the Dell. Both successful installs have been made using the disk supplied with the printer. I'm about to pull the eMachines out of my friend's house and bring it to my home where I can spend an unlimited amount of time digging into it. eMachines will provide support only at $2.95 per minute since it's beyond the one year warrantee period!

Ask a Question