From: "Patrick Bonneau" <[email protected]>
Subject: Print Spooler service stop
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:59:51 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

We are working with a lot of print server and we got a lot
of trouble with the spooler. It just shutdown and we need
to restart the spooler.

Our print network is build like this
TerminalServer-Print Queue- Tcp/ip port - jetdirect
(most of them are Hp jetdirect 300x) - Label printer.

We notice that the spooler crasg arrived when a label
printer(datemax,techb,zebra) got some pending but cannot
print them(Jetdirect is down).

Is there something that can be done or is there a tool to
provoque spooler failure...to do some test?

Thanks a lot
Sorry if my english is bad....im from Quebec.
Patrick
--

Patrick,

The most common causes of the Print Spooler service stopping are printer drivers and custom port monitors. If a new
printer or printer driver was added recently try removing it to see what happens. We can also check for a custom port
monitor by looking at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors. If there is a custom port monitor we can
export a copy of that sub-key, as a backup, and then delete the sub-key to remove the custom port monitor. We would
then need to stop and restart the Print Spooler service for this change to take affect.

If this does not resolve the issue the Print Spooler service should add an entry to the Dr Watson log and generate a User
dump file, assuming Dr Watson is still the system's default debugger and it is setup to generate the User dump file, when it
stops. The log and the dump can be used to try and determine why the Print Spooler stopped.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.