Windows Vista preview pane painfully SLOW SLOW SLOW

skl

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am new here. I am also relatively new to Vista. I love XP SP2 but I got vista business with my new tablet (1GB RAM, T7250).
I have a huge problem with vista's explorer. When I use desktop search on XP and select a pdf file, it appears INSTANTLY in the preview - which is btw fully equipped adobe reader, so you can further search the file, copy from it etc.
Now in vista, when I click the file, my computer hangs for about 3 minutes, and then the file appears.
I hope this is not normal. What can be possibly wrong? I updated adobe reader but it didn't help.
So, why is it so slow? This makes the system useless for me.
Also, can I change the appearance of the reader in the preview pane so that it offers full interface, just like in XP?
Can anyone help me, please?
Thanks, skl

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but 1GB is not a lot to be running Vista with.
Have you thought of upgrading with more RAM Memory?
I think i saw here recently that Vista can easily take up to 3GB of RAM Memory.

skl

Reaction score
Yes I want to upgrade to 3GB soon, but still, come on - 1GB for reading a pdf file should be plenty! I even tried changing the theme to "windows classic" which should also boost the performace a bit, but there is no change. I reinstalled Adobe reader - no change.
Previewing other documents seems fine - doc, xls, pictures - they are fast. But waiting several minutes for a small pdf file to appear.... :-(

Reaction score
Hey .. 1 g.b is not enough for running window vista you must install 2 g.b ram to run it properly...

Reaction score
i see your using vista business 1gb ram is fine but more ram may help on this version of vista.

vista home is fine with 1gb ram but not games.

Have you got alot of software running in the background?

skl

Reaction score
No, the slowliness doesn't seem to depend too much on backgroung processes. Tried to shoot down almost everything - no change. Also switched off aero...no change.

The pdf preview works GREAT with Foxit - extremely fast.

But, previewing office documents still SUCKS - it's really slow, and, what is bothering me a lot is that it seems impossible to resize the preview pane to cover more than a little over half of the screen - is it supposed to be like that, or is something wrong with my windows? Because now with foxit I can see my pdf file fast, but only a little piece of it :( This is really stupid!

And so I bought more ram - now I have 3GB ---> absolutely no change with preview pane speed.

Ask a Question