Preventing Complete History Deletion

Frequently when I get home from work I open IE to find that the all of the
systems history has been deleted. This includeds AutoComplete, Address URL,
History Folder, Recent Files List, Temp Files directory and even Index.dat
has been wiped!

I know it is my brother who is doing this because he is the only one at home
who can use the machine when all the history dissapears (remote access is
off). I have asked him several times to stop and even locked him out of the
machine for long durations by turning guest accounts off and passwording the
administrators account when he refused to do so.

I have had this trouble for more than 6 months now. I don't know how he does
it but if anyone can tell me how to stop him from doing this you would be
saving me hours of frustrating effort trying to find addresses to websites
I'm always forgetting to put in my favorites!

fyi: I'm on win XP Pro

Jan Il

Hi Newbold :)

Try the following and see if it helps:

How to prevent History from being deleted

Download and install SpyBot Seach and Destroy; (update as well)
SpyBot S &D
Go to Start>Programs>SpyBot S&S (advanced mode)>Immunise>
Check the 3 items at the bottom. This will disable the IE Tools>Internet
Options feature (you will be able to disable it if you need to),

However, that the SpyBot setting blocks the Internet Options
function from within IE but NOT from the Control Panel, which is a method
someone who wishes to erase tracks might also use. See here for restricting
access to certain Control Panel functions: Control panel
http://www.softheap.com/how-to/control_panel.html

or...
Courtesy of Mike Burgess -
Go to:
[or]
You could add a Registry restriction that would disable that function.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
Panel]
"History"=dword:00000001
Note: to affect *all* users add the below:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
Panel]
"History"=dword:00000001
Value Data: (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction)
Note: always Export before editing. Close Regedit and reboot.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Don Varnau

Hi,
If your brother had his own user account (non-admin, of course) he should be
able to clear his own history, cache, temp, etc. but not yours. Just insure
that he doesn't have the password to your account or an admin account.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Newbold" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...