Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS

NBK

Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i
playing the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz
Prescott from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.

This is bizarre,
NBK

NBK

ocbwilg said:
Presumably you suddenly drawing more power and causing a sag on the line.
Thanks for responding...
Ocbwilg what can i do about the sag in the line? Buy another UPS?

Pete D

NBK said:
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe and Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550Watt PSU

With that sort of supply you should not have a problem. I am running a
P4P800-E Dlx, 2.8 Gig Northwood, Nvidia 6800, Antec 430Watt Truepower
supply, Doom 3 at high settings and it runs for hours not a problem. How is
your case ventilation? What size is the UPS, have you checked the batteries?

Paul

NBK said:
Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i
playing the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz
Prescott from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.

This is bizarre,
NBK

When is the last time you had a look inside the APC ? We had
some at work once, that had battery contacts that could work
loose. The battery itself will eventually fail as well, but I
don't know what symptoms you could expect from that (dunno if
the beeper is tied to battery status, or is tied to just the
AC status on input side).

Paul

NBK

Pete said:
With that sort of supply you should not have a problem. I am running a
P4P800-E Dlx, 2.8 Gig Northwood, Nvidia 6800, Antec 430Watt Truepower
supply, Doom 3 at high settings and it runs for hours not a problem. How is
your case ventilation? What size is the UPS, have you checked the batteries?
I have a Lian-Li PC-60 Case. It has two fans in the front, one in the
back and one blow hole. I have an APC Back-UPS Pro 500. I will post
the specs on the UPS as soon as i find them.
thanks
NBK

LeeBos

APC's model numbers usually represent the VA or Volt Amp ratings. Yours is 500
so I am guessing that that is not nearly enough for your system. 500VA is
equivalent to about 300 watts. You need between 500 & 600 for your system.
The reason for the alarm is that you are drawing more wattage than the APC can
deliver. Get a larger one. An 800VA unit will give you about 540 watts. If your
printer, cabel modem etcc are also tn the UPS go for at least a 1000VA unit.
Even if you don't require all that capacity for your system it will give you
longer run time in the event of loss of power.

NBK

LeeBos said:
APC's model numbers usually represent the VA or Volt Amp ratings. Yours is 500
so I am guessing that that is not nearly enough for your system. 500VA is
equivalent to about 300 watts. You need between 500 & 600 for your system.
The reason for the alarm is that you are drawing more wattage than the APC can
deliver. Get a larger one. An 800VA unit will give you about 540 watts. If your
printer, cabel modem etcc are also tn the UPS go for at least a 1000VA unit.
Even if you don't require all that capacity for your system it will give you
longer run time in the event of loss of power.

It is the red overload button that comes on my UPS. I should have
bought the Northwood 3.4GHz Proc.
dEXTER

LeeBos

Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
From: NBK (e-mail address removed)
Date: 10/16/2004 9:42 AM Eastern Standard Time

It is the red overload button that comes on my UPS. I should have
bought the Northwood 3.4GHz Proc.
dEXTER

Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's just a
guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS was
probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system that
beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is enough to
push it into overload.
You really need a larger UPS.

NBK

LeeBos said:
Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's just a
guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS was
probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system that
beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is enough to
push it into overload.
You really need a larger UPS.
Thanks for all your responses,
I will probably give APC a call and buy a more powerful UPS.
NBK

Ken

When is the last time you had a look inside the APC ? We had
some at work once, that had battery contacts that could work
loose.

Yes! My APC UPS did tell me that the battery was low, but
that was only the battery contacts that need some tightening.
The battery contacts must be very, very tight because of all
current from the battery. Its about 40-50 ampere!

NBK

snip_______________
Sorry, but I don't know the power specs for the intel CPU's but it's just a
guess that it requires a little more power than your old CPU. your UPS was
probably running at or near it's capacity before you switched and is now
overloaded. I have an older 350VA UPS connected to an old PIII system that
beeps at me whenever Norton AV runs. The constant disk activity is enough to
push it into overload.
You really need a larger UPS.

Will this APC UPS do
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270212

LeeBos

From: NBK (e-mail address removed)
Date: 10/16/2004 5:44 PM Eastern Standard Time

snip_______________

Will this APC UPS do
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270212

Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one without any
problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4 Celeron, Laser
printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB 2 HDD.

This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime you can
connect another battery pack to it.

NBK

LeeBos said:
Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one without any
problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4 Celeron, Laser
printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB 2 HDD.

This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime you can
connect another battery pack to it.
Thanks LeeBos

Kylesb

| Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one
without any
| problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4
Celeron, Laser
| printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB
2 HDD.

| This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime
you can
| connect another battery pack to it.

I believe it's generally recommended that a laser printer not be
connected to a UPS as it will draw too much current on the UPS during
power failures. However, given newer designs, perhaps their power
appetite is lessening nowadays.

Larry

NBK said:
Everytime i play Doom 3, my APC UPS alarm will go off as long as i playing
the game. This has been happening since upgraded to a 3.4GHz Prescott
from a Northwood 3.06GHz Proc.
Windows XP Pro SP2, Pentium 3.4GHz Prescott, 1Gb RAM Crucial, onboard
sound, ADS Firewire card, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 4.10 Cats, Maxtor HDD,
Pioneer Dvr-A03 DVD-RW, Samsung SM-352 DVD Combo and Enermax 550 Watt PSU.

This is bizarre,
NBK
Does your UPS have voltage switches on it that you can set the alarm to
differernt voltage drop before it goes off?
I don't have one in front of me but the one I have at work has some little
small switches on it that you slide for .5 V drop 1.0 V drop etc...
all have to do is set it up a little.