PowerPoint Remote Control available?

J

Joseph M. Newcomer

I'm looking for a wireless remote control for PowerPoint that has been designed by someone
who does not drool.

The current set of vendors (I've tried three so far) seem incompetent to read
documentation, and have set their remote controls up to send "Page up" and "Page down"
keyboard commands, as if these actually are supposed to work.

If you have a dual-monitor system, with Presenter View, of course all this does is scroll
your notes!

Two that I've contacted claim that "We make consumer level products and not products for
the high-end user, and we don't support fancy installations with dual monitors". Which is
(a) inexcusable and (b) stupid, because they seem to have missed the fact that most
laptops these days (including my little Sony T150, now many years old) are intrinsically
dual-monitor systems. They seem incapable of comprehending any form of reality
experienced by the rest of us.

At least as of this week, you can avoid Kensington remote controls. These people are
clueless, and their tech support did not even wish to record that their control was a
defective design. They told me the design was perfect, in spite of the fact that it does
not actually work. I forget the two other vendors.

If anyone knows about a company run by intelligent human beings, who can actually read
documentation, and don't live on a different astral plane than the rest of us, who have
created a USABLE wireless remote for PowerPoint presentations, I'd appreciate hearing
about them.
joe
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: (e-mail address removed)
Web: http://www.flounder.com
MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm

S

Steve Rindsberg

The current set of vendors (I've tried three so far) seem incompetent to read
documentation, and have set their remote controls up to send "Page up" and "Page down"
keyboard commands, as if these actually are supposed to work.

Click once on the second monitor, the one showing the presentation, to set focus to it.
PageUp/PageDown should then work to control the presentation.

U

Ute Simon

I'm looking for a wireless remote control for PowerPoint that has been
designed by someone
who does not drool.

Maybe you're better off with a mouse-type device than with a simple remote
"clicker". Have a look for Gyration Optical Air Mouse, which does not need a
table or mouse-pad. But it needs some practice to get used to it, though.
AFAIK Logitech also offers trackball pointing devices.

Best regards,
Ute

Ask a Question