Power saving mode (pc freezes)

Sand Dumes

I have a problem with my Dell Desktop, 2.6 Ghz CPU, 80gig harddrive, XP Pro,
512 Mb ram, NTFS format, flat panel (PC is about one year old). The drive is
only 27% disk space full. The PC randomly goes into "power savng mode"
frozen. I downloaded the driver for the flat panel monitor from Dell's
support site, did not help. I went into the Power Management applet, checked
"never" (meaning do not go to standby mode), did not help. I ran the Dell
diagnostic test utility (before it booted into Windows), the test all shown
OK (including memory, cache, disk, controllers). What is causing the PC to
go into "power saving mode" (in essence, frozen)? I have to "cold boot"
(press the power supply off, and back on, but even then, it goes into power
saving mode). I tried to reboot to Safe Mode, sometimes during rebooting, it
goes into "power saving mode", frozen. Help....

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Get into the system BIOS and disable any power management going on in there.
Check your owners manual for the proper keys to press at boot to access
this.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Dan R

Hi Kelly, first, regarding Rick's reply, I did go into the Bios to check
"never" for power management, but to no avail.

My PC has a LAN cable (network is a Novell setup, has 10 Mb connection speed
in a business business environment). I can boot using a Win98 boot disk
(modified with ReadNTFS utility) so that I can read my C: drive. However,
when I reboot, "sometimes", it lets me boot into XP pro normally, other
times, while XP is loading up, PC dies, a message, "power saving mode"
displays at monitor.

One other note, I had Adobe Reader 6.01 and 7.05 installed in the past,
where when I scroll of do a search within Acrobat (a huge 25 Mb file), PC
dies (goes into power saving mode). Other times, when I do an online video
streaming course (via Media Player), PC dies when streaming begins. Our
small PC helpdesk unit is understaff, not available. In the meantime, I'm
still having the same symptoms.