PNY Verto nVidia GeForce FX5700LE 128Mb TVout/DVI - The Lowdown!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers for Win 98, V66.42.

Must confess I haven't tried any other, older, drivers, it may be worth a try.

Reaction score
is your card even compatable with agp 4x? i know some of the 9800's sometime only run at 8x. which speed wise it makes almost no difference at all, but it does mess with compatability. sorry but i dont know of the games you mentioned, are they 2d or 3d games? try using a different gfx card, or rolling the drivers back some. may need to switch or your mobo. and now that i think of it, are you using the 5700le or the ati 9800 on that sercond machine? check some reviews, to see if theres any known bugs with those games. some gfx cards have problems. like mx series on diablo 2 in 3d mode.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Moco: All the games I've mentioned are 3D Games and they all should have run on the old GeForce 2 64Mb card (Agp x 4) that was in the machine originally, according to each game's specs.

In fact, a few years ago, I've played these games on that very board with the old card, no problems, using Win 98.

Which is why I suspect the motherboard. The previous users of this system (my twin daughters) also complained that some of their games just stopped working one day, which is what makes me wonder.

Kenny: AGP fastwrites enabled? I'll have to check that one out.

Reaction score
ahh ok. have you tried reformatting? just a thought. that usually fixes my bugs with games, and you've deff tried uninstalling and re installing right? that goes w/o saying but go threw your registry to fully remove it. otherwise it leaves some in there, and may be why even after reinstalling it wont work... some bad files may still be left.

Reaction score
also yes, check fast writes. other then that. I'm not sure. only way from there i know is it start replacing part by part (hd, mobo, gfx card) and seeing if it works with one switched. good luck.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Moco said:
ahh ok. have you tried reformatting?
No, as the OS seems OK. I've installed all the MS Win 98 updates.

That usually fixes my bugs with games, and you've deff tried uninstalling and re installing right? that goes w/o saying but go threw your registry to fully remove it. otherwise it leaves some in there, and may be why even after reinstalling it wont work... some bad files may still be left.
I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling as it seems too much of a coincidence that three games, all 3D games, just don't work.

I have considered reinstalling Win 98, but I don't think that's the answer here. To be honest, I suspect the agp bus on the mobo may be faulty.

also yes, check fast writes. other then that. I'm not sure. only way from there i know is it start replacing part by part (hd, mobo, gfx card) and seeing if it works with one switched. good luck.
Thanks for the good luck ;)

That's basically what I've done, already switched out the grafix card, and am considering trying another motherboard.

Have also run memtest86 for an hour and the memory checks out OK.

Funnily enough, I did suspect the DVD-ROM drive, it's old and it's only 12 speed, but everything seems to have installed from it OK and all it does when using it to play a game is check a small piece of code for security purposes, I've done full installs on all of these games.

Reaction score
wait, your trying to play them on a dvd rom? have you tried using the normal cd-rom? i've had games load on a dvd rom but to play. it rejects it because it wants to run movie clips only. and yeah i caught that it was on 3 games. just worried since your using windows... who knows how stable it is. have you gone threw and pulled off everything off your statup files? maybe the processor is too bogged down. i run a 2000+ athlon xp and if i run too much some of my games will do werid things, like scramble the pic or auto-minimize the game. just throwin out ideas here. not exactly sure what the problem is. wish i could help more.

Reaction score
Also i forgot to mention, you may not OC as much specially w/o artifacts if you got a generic brand. the better the brand the higher it goes. chaintech has its own utility that comes with it that will run the cards to 500mhz. i'd stick with only name brans for this one since you must oc so far and the knock off's may use less transistors or lower the bus speed on your mem. which is common.

Reaction score
well the most common way generic company's save money is by shaving off parts. like in dropping the mem architecture, or cheaper products that dont handle the heat as well. most of the time you lose out on mem bandwidth and oc'ing capabilities when saving that 10 dollars for a cheaper maker. which mem bandwidth means nothing to desktop users but is hugely important to any gamer. 2d games run fine. but the newer 3d games with massively complex pixel shader engines. that throws a massive load at your card. hince, cheaper brands never pay off. it gets much more technical to explain it any deeper but lemme know if your still interested, i'll send you a link to a good review site that explains mem arch much more. but most isnt needed for most purposes.

Reaction score
again, i forgot to mention. memory bandwidth isnt that important as in switching from 4x (1gb/s) to 8x agp (2.0gb/s) nor a diff from that to pci-e. 4-8 only shows at most a 1 fps difference. most of the time it makes a .04 diff. switching from 8x-16x (pci-e) probly wont matter either, but the way they hurt the mem is more in the arch.

Reaction score
I have purchased this card on this review and what others said on ebuyer. [bought it from ebuyer]

I previously had 5200 FX. I am new to this overclocking game.

Here is my PC spec - it is a Medion bought off the shelf.

XP3000+ 2.2GHZ
MSI KT400-8235
512MB 2700 RAM
250W PSU
NVIDIA 66.93 DRIVER
PNY 5700LE 128 CARD

I have no other cooling - is it worth geting one of those cheap fans someone mentioned earlier from ebuyer - if so where do they go!!

Firstly, out of the box on 3DMark03 I achieved 1720 [225 and 400 were default settings]

I then tweaked the settings for core and memory [what do they both do? Are they independant of each other or do they have to be tweaked in order or as a percentage?]

Second test [after slowly increasing both] with settings at 378 and 474 I achieved 2203.

I only increased one at a time until it would fail and then did the other - is this ok?

I did achieve 2280 with 385 and 477 but what I presume are aretfacts [chunky shapes appearing whilst running test, but only on the Wings Of War demo] appeared.

My main games are Medal Of Honor and Call Of Duty and to be honest I can't see much difference, and Cal Of Duty now appears to lag when playing [not a ping problem] now and again.

Is it safe to run overclocked all of the time, or does the card adjust if no demands are made on it?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Sorry if I sound stupid or the answers to you lot are obvious!!

Rob.

Reaction score
Dont ever feel stupid for asking a question, we all had to figure it out somehow. Who made your card, (what brand). Also, If you got a decent brand, you should have no problem clocking the core higher. and as far as where to place the fan. Assuming you have minimal other fans, I would suggest one on your gfx card. Then maybe another to grab that hot air out. I am 16 beers in so if any of this is confusing, I'm sorry and please delete this. But as far as running with artifacts, they're usually only white specs. and i wouldnt suggest running oc'ed all the time unless you have very good cooling. and why burn it up if you dont have to. Just remeber the settings it handles with ease. then, you know where to throw it when your playing a game. Other then that, just play the game as you can, its always better to buy a new card then burn up an old. if nuthing else. sell it to a friend, then buy a new card. your out of games untill this happens, but its the cheapest way to go. Besides, you can always relax on playing and re-think your strategies untill you get a new card. (yes, it does help.) Other then blowing a pay check, theres not much else I can offer. Just OC untill you feel safe, after that, your risking it. Good luck and have fun. BEst wishes. cheers.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey chris....just bought one of these 5700's for a system i'm building at the moment, on your recommendation so i hope its good, waiting for it to be delivered should be sometime today, it's the leadtek winfast 5700le td so i'm hoping this thing will fly cause leadtek make some super cards.

http://cyber.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=3&id=1292

It was £60.27 that included vat and delivery.

I'l let you know how i get on when it turns up and i get it installed in this system.

Reaction score
Just hope it uses the same memory and core as the PNY one, if it does, and Leadtek have put some good cooling on it, you should be flying.

Leadtek cards = Very Good :D I had a TI4800 128mb VIVO and you couldnt see the damn card, it was covered end to end in an aluminum heat sink and had a couple of 30mm fans on it... stock!

Reaction score
I think its something the LE just does... overclock. Mine needs more cooling before I can push it further... There are graphics cards out there at a core>500MHz, how can we get programs to push out cards past the coolbits hack of 500??

Ask a Question