Plug and play software device enumerator problem (code 31)

G

I have a problem with the Plug and play software device
enumerator: Status message: This device is not working properly because Windows
cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code
31)

The problem (apparently)occured after installing an automatic Windows Update.(Q329834). None of my sound devices (On-board, Sound Blaster, Tascam US-122) are working at the moment.

Have tried system Restore to Date/Time before issue started, but the system is unable to do the restoring. Have also tried to uninstall the suspected windows update without success.

The Trouble shooting tool reccommends to uninstall/install the Plug and play software device enumerator. I'm sceptic to this as I am not able to see this
unit when using the "Install new hardware" tool.

Please help !

G

Thank you wery much for your advice!

However, I'm a bit confused abot the difference of the error text in the article compared to the error message I get. The article says:

"This device is not working properly because <device> is not working properly. (Code 31) To view the properties for device and see why it is not working, click Properties."

While I get the message:
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Is this really the same error ?

Do you have any advice how to proceed to track down the actual error ? All of my sound devices appear to be error free in the device manager (However none of them works). When I try to launch applications using the sound devices (i.e. Media Player using the Sound Blaster or VST-486 using Tascam US-122) i get messgaes
like: wmp.dll version mismatch - do you want to reinstall ?"(Media Player) and "No sound device present - check that device is connected (VST-486).

Is reinstalling all sound devices the way to go foreward ? ( I can't help suspecting
there is something common to all sound devices missing or in error)

Again, I appreciate your feedback!

Ask a Question