Windows XP Please help with merging CSV files

Reaction score
Here's the situation.

I have a master file. Let's call it A. I have a continuously downloaded file that needs to be appended to A. Let's call it B. So basically I need to append all data from B into A without erasing any data in A.

In addition, A and B both have the same header row. When I append B to A, I would like for this header row to be deleted and for the rest of the data to be appended to the next availabe row in A. In other words, I can't have any null (blank) values in the data ranges.

I tried copy A.csv + B.csv C.csv, while it sort of shows what can be done, it doesn't help me the removal of the header row and eliminating nulls. In addition, it adds some weird characters.

Thank you for all your help, and great forum!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You may be able to achieve this by importing both sets into Excel and merging them?

Reaction score
A Possibility?

Import them both into an Access Data base (Create an Auto ID in table "A") Copy a backup of your database at this point. Then use an append query to bring in table "B" to table A

You can then export to excel or CSV if needed

However use excel if you prefer, it’s mainly preference, with me I find I can manipulate data better with access, others prefer excel!

Hope that helps :)

Reaction score
I should have stated what I was looking for. Basically, it'd be best for me to have a batch file, or something that could do it for me automatically without having to edit stuff in Excel or Access. Is this possible?

Reaction score
ajm786 said:
I should have stated what I was looking for. Basically, it'd be best for me to have a batch file, or something that could do it for me automatically without having to edit stuff in Excel or Access. Is this possible?

You can write a sub(routine) in Acces of Exell even in Word with autom. runs when you open the database, xls or doc file.

In Excel and Word just name the sub(routine) autostart or autoopen and th sub will starts on run of the applicion or when you open the xms or doc file

Ask a Question