From : <[email protected]>
Sent : Sunday, January 14, 2007 9:12 PM
To : <[email protected]>
Subject : Microsoft Windows Vista RC1 Product Key

**********************************
Please keep this e-mail for your records.
**********************************

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Windows Vista RC1. Your Product Key
is included at the
bottom of this message. You may install RC1 on up to 10 PCs using the same
Product Key.

To help answer questions you may have related to installation and use, we
have created
newsgroups for Windows Vista RC1. To join or read postings in these
newsgroups please visit
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com.

For the latest information on Windows Vista, please visit
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=65938.

Thank You,
Microsoft

Product Key:
2VJHF-7T9HJ-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The "Microsoft Windows Vista RC1 Product Key" is only valid
with the "Microsoft Windows Vista RC1 DVD". Is that the DVD
you have and downloaded from a Microsoft web site?

If you happened to have download the released version (RTM)
Windows Vista DVD from a non-Microsoft web site, that DVD
is unauthorized and non-genuine.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Please I'm looking for a help, I had got Windows Vista DVD and I applied for
a trial product key through Microsoft, They had sent me an email including my
product key as below, unfortunately it doesn't work, I even triad in
upgrading mode and in new installation but in both cases it say" your product
key cant be validated, Review your product key and ............". I'm sure
I'm typing it correctly I even try to copy and past it from the email I
received from Microsoft but same result, any ideas?

Please keep this e-mail for your records.
**********************************

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Windows Vista RC1. Your Product Key
is included at the
bottom of this message. You may install RC1 on up to 10 PCs using the same
Product Key.

To help answer questions you may have related to installation and use, we
have created
newsgroups for Windows Vista RC1. To join or read postings in these
newsgroups please visit
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com.

For the latest information on Windows Vista, please visit
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=65938.

Thank You,
Microsoft

Product Key:
2VJHF-7T9HJ-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Carey Frisch [MVP]

It doesn't make any difference at this point. You have a
Product Key for RC1 and it will only work with a RC1 DVD.
Microsoft no longer offers the RC1 DVD download as beta
testing of Windows Vista is now officially over.

You can purchase the final released version of Windows Vista
on January 30th at your favorite store that sells computer software.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have no idea from where is the DVD came, as i got it from a friend of mine
and its working perfect on his pc.

Is there any way to know what kind of vista DVD I have and the version?
Is it possible RC1 Product key works on RC2? as i think my version is RC2
any chance to know that ?

DCR

RC1 key DOES work with RC2

| It doesn't make any difference at this point. You have a
| Product Key for RC1 and it will only work with a RC1 DVD.
| Microsoft no longer offers the RC1 DVD download as beta
| testing of Windows Vista is now officially over.
|
| You can purchase the final released version of Windows Vista
| on January 30th at your favorite store that sells computer software.
|
| --
| Carey Frisch
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows Shell/User
|
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| "Alaa Nagawa" wrote:
|
| Thanks for your quick reply.
|
| I have no idea from where is the DVD came, as i got it from a friend of mine
| and its working perfect on his pc.
|
| Is there any way to know what kind of vista DVD I have and the version?
| Is it possible RC1 Product key works on RC2? as i think my version is RC2
| any chance to know that ?

As I know microsoft has issued only 2 versions RC1 and RC2 and as mentioned
in yoru email they both works on the same serial, it mean my version of vista
should work and validate on the product key recived by microsoft, but in facs
its not.

any opinions?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Insert the Windows Vista DVD in your DVD drive and explore
the DVD until you find the license folder for Vista Ultimate.

Example: D:\sources\license\en-us\eval\ultimate

Open the Ultimate file folder to read the Vista Ultimate license which will
state at the top which Release Candidate DVD you have.

Example:

MICROSOFT PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA RELEASE CANDIDATE 1

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Would you help me please and tell me how can I know which Version of Vista do
I have? is there a way to know if its Vista RC1 or RC2 before installation?

Chad Harris

Alaa--

1) If you type winver into the run box, you'll know what version and edition
of Vista you have.
2) You then can extend the product key for much longer then it will take for
you to buy one come January 30.

Use this method:

You can type slui /rearm and get an extra 30 days 3 times.

..From an administartive command window type "cscript slmgr.vbs -rearm" while
in the windows/system directory. Check with "cscript slmgr.vbs -xpr" or
"cscript slmgr.vbs -dlv". The "cscript slmgr.vbs -rearm" works, even if a
product key has been entered (and activated).

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopdeployment/bdd/2007/VolumeAct_9.mspx

3) If your buddy has already engaged the product key, you're going to be
out of luck. That PK should be good for one install on one box just as in
XP.

The worst that can happen is that you have two weeks until Jan. 30, then you
can buy a whole wheelbarrel full of them puppies.

CH

I had check it on the following folder
E:\sources\license\en-us\eval\ultimate

I opened the license file and on the top as following only:
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC
WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM
WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE

nothing mentionedabout the release canidate.

Thanks Chad for the great information.

My problem is that I'm not able to install Vista at all to enter the run
command or to extend the evaluation of the 30 days.

Once i try to install the vista either a new version or upgrade version it
says that product key in invalid or cant validated the key hence i recived
the key from microsoft but its not able to work.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

From what your license indicates, it is not a license for RC1 or RC2.
Therefore, your RC1 license will not work with the DVD in your
possession.

However, you can install Vista and not input any Product Key or attempt to activate.
It will run normally for 30 days and then be placed in "reduced functionality mode".

The behavior of reduced functionality mode in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925582/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

I had check it on the following folder
E:\sources\license\en-us\eval\ultimate

I opened the license file and on the top as following only:
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC
WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM
WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE

nothing mentionedabout the release canidate.

Rick Rogers

Taking from your original post then, what you have is a trial product key
(aka CPP or beta key) and the product disk you have is RTM (or gold). The
trial keys were only for the prerelease versions, you need a final release
product key to use the media you have. Currently, the only channels by which
these are available are to enterprise volume license customers, technet and
MSDN subscribers, and a group of beta testers that were given a copy of the
final release. For everyone else, the final product version and accompanying
product keys will not be available until the public release on January 31,
2007.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Hi,

Yes, you can install it and run without entering a product key for up to 30
days.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Carey Frisch [MVP]

To answer your questions:

1. The DVD you have is likely the final version of Windows Vista.
Your friend likely downloaded it illegally from the 'net and is
probably a "Volume License" version designed for business enterprises
and not individuals.

2. You can install it without a product key. However, since the DVD
was obtained illegally, it may not function or perform like a "genuine"
version of Vista.

3. It will only function for 30 days. After 30 days, you'll need to purchase
a "genuine" version of Vista and perform a clean install using the genuine
Windows Vista DVD and Product Key that comes with it.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Thanks again. just a few clarifications please.
1- is my Vista older or newer version from RC1 and RC2
2- can I Install it withoutout any Product Key.
3- What kind of version is this and why it work without the product key.

Thanks.

Chad Harris

I'm a little confused. I thought you had installed it. You don't need to
type in a PK to install Vista I thought but maybe that doesn't extend to the
Beta versions.

I thought a friend gave you one DVD so I don't understand what you mean by a
new version (full?) or an upgrade version.

Ask the friend to type winver in his pc and see what it is since he
installed using that DVD according to what you originally posted.

CH

Chad Harris

As Rick said, you should be able to install without a PK for 30 days. Then
you could use the command I gave you to extend it. However, if your friend
has installed using that DVD's PK, you're out of luck. You're going to have
to find another source for Vista. I keep hearing MSFT actually plans to
release it on January 30, although MSFT hasn't had the sense or the
foresight to clarify their upgrade packaging as to PK and DVD on any
site--hence we have so many millions of upgrde questions with 2 weeks go go.

MSFT has always been terrible at clarifying their licensure and packaging
and with 2 weeks to go in Vista they have not done this. They are carrying
on the tradition.

CH