V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This was in my inbox this morning..... :rolleyes:

More here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3122462

and here - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18255158

Dear Customer,
Email Security Message

We are emailing all our customers to let you know that a company that handles part of our marketing communications has had a security breach. Unfortunately this has meant that some customer names and email addresses may have been compromised.

We take privacy and security very seriously and ensure all sensitive customer data is protected. Please be assured this issue has occurred outside of Play.com and no other personal customer information has been involved.

Please be assured we have taken every step to ensure this doesn’t happen again and accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused some of you.

Customer Advice

Please do be vigilant with your email and personal information when using the internet. At Play.com we will never ask you for information such as passwords, bank account details or credit card numbers. If you receive anything suspicious in your email, please do not click on any links and forward the email on to privacy *at* play.com for us to investigate.

Thank you for continuing to shop at Play.com and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Play.com Customer Service Team

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers V_R. :)

I've not had this e-mail yet, but I guess they are working through their (compromised!) list!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yep, I got the email too, although I hardly ever use Play.com

Guess I'm on their list though.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its looking like its only the guys that are signed up to their newsletter, so if you get that from them you may well be on the list.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
aslong as its just names and email addy's. My fiance has a play.com credit card and it was frauded the other day, someone topped up £30 O2 credit with it but we didnt even know and it was play that rang n told us! They credited our account £30 back which could take upto 10 days.I think 90%+ of our dvds and games are from play.com, We've spent literally thousands with them so they better not mess us around, dont want to try and find someone as reliable as them! Cant fault them at all and i've used em for 6 or so years now.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just got an update email...

Dear Customer,

As a follow up to the email we sent you last night, I would like to give you some further details. On Sunday the 20th of March some customers reported receiving a spam email to email addresses they only use for Play.com. We reacted immediately by informing all our customers of this potential security breach in order for them to take the necessary precautionary steps.

We believe this issue may be related to some irregular activity that was identified in December 2010 at our email service provider, Silverpop. Investigations at the time showed no evidence that any of our customer email addresses had been downloaded. We would like to assure all our customers that the only information communicated to our email service provider was email addresses. Play.com have taken all the necessary steps with Silverpop to ensure a security breach of this nature does not happen again.

We would also like to reassure our customers that all other personal information (i.e. credit cards, addresses, passwords, etc.) are kept in the very secure Play.com environment. Play.com has one of the most stringent internal standards of e-commerce security in the industry. This is audited and tested several times a year by leading internet security companies to ensure this high level of security is maintained. On behalf of Play.com, I would like to once again apologise to our customers for any inconvenience due to a potential increase in spam that may be caused by this issue.

Best regards,
John

John Perkins
CEO
Play.com

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've used Play.com for at least six years as well, I think they're good, I still use them on an occasional basis.

Mostly use Amazon though, tbh, if there's a problem they don't keep you waiting a month like Play.com do.

I never received that e-mail. And I don't receive their newsletter.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I got that 2nd e-mail last night (although I don't get the newsletter) - although I get so much spam anyway, it's still annoying!

Ask a Question