Planners - some should be shot.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I have the misfortune to drive around a double roundabout four times a week. It was always very acceptable even at rush hour but then about 9 months ago the diggers came in and very extensive work began.

Extra lanes were created and six sets of traffic lights appeared. For weeks on end the changes were incredibly slow. Whilst the work "progressed" the road was dug up and there were cones everywhere but the double roundabout still functioned quite well.

Finally all the work ended and the magnificent traffic lights were switched on after about £1 million had been spent.

Now, the traffic flow is diabolical with tail backs at every entrance to the roundabout. I have to sit at red lights with nothing passing in front of me. The approach road that I use used to have a queue of 200 yards maximum even at peak times. Now it's anything up to a mile.

Progress???? :wall:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This is one of the old traffic planning rules, it ain't new ... if you want to slow traffic down, put in a roundabout, use traffic lights to stop it completely. ;)

:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can think of dozens of instances round here where traffic has been slowed since 'improvements'.

I personally think it's all a secret plot to make us ditch our cars and go back to using horses and carts.

I blame Ken Livingstone meself. Why? Cos I don't like him very much, that's why :p And to think he was once a hero of mine :rolleyes:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i hate it when they do stuff like that, the road that leads to my girlfriends now has 6 chicanes and 2 speed bumps down it, they are also starting 'safety improvements' on the road it joins onto this week so god knows what it'll be like when i go down there in 6 weeks

Reaction score
I used so hate driving through or around London.
I used to know all of the south circular off by heart.
So glad i gave up driving for a living!

Ask a Question