PIO mode on one DMA channel

Chris

I have just reinstalled XP and DMA channel 1 runs in PIO
mode. I cannot change the DMA option for the HD controller
and I've tried installing the latest 4in1 drivers, no help.

I did not have this problem on my last XP setup and all
the hardware is the same. Also I have not installed SP1 as
I did not have it before either. I don't want to add
variables to my problem.

Chris

Benny Fu

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your posting.

The Ultra DMA Mode 6 devices were not supported on VIA motherboard before
you installed Windows XP SP1. To resolve this issue, update the driver for
the IDE controllers in Device Manager. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
3. Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers".
4. Double-click "Primary IDE channel", and then click the Driver tab.
5. Click Update Driver.
6. Click "Install the software automatically", and then follow the
on-screen instructions to complete the process.

DMA/PIO settings are configured for each controller instead of for each
device.

Open Control Panel, and then follow these steps to configure the DMA/PIO
settings for a controller:

1. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
2. Click System Tools, and then click Device Manager.
3. Click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
4. Click the specific controller for which you want to configure DMA/PIO
settings.
5. Click the Advanced Settings tab.
6. In the Transfer Mode box, click either PIO Only or DMA if available.

More Information
===============
308541 Description of Ultra DMA
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308541

Hope it helps.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,

Benny Fu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! – www.microsoft.com/security

| From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| Subject: PIO mode on one DMA channel
| Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:26:47 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
|
| I have just reinstalled XP and DMA channel 1 runs in PIO
| mode. I cannot change the DMA option for the HD controller
| and I've tried installing the latest 4in1 drivers, no help.
|
| I did not have this problem on my last XP setup and all
| the hardware is the same. Also I have not installed SP1 as
| I did not have it before either. I don't want to add
| variables to my problem.
|
| Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Chris

Chris

Thank you very much for the information Benny Fu.

I solved the problem by installing VIA's IDE miniport
driver v3.0.14. Now I find my Pioneer A04 DVD burner
refuses to work. The disk burning process crashes at
random intervals. Nero does warn there is a read error and
the burn might be unsuccessful.

If I find an answer to this I'll post here.