Pie Charts

Christine

When I insert a new pie chart or cut and paste an Excel
pie chart into a PowerPoint slide and then Ungroup it, I
lose the internal lines separating each pie piece. Is
this a known problem? Is there a solution or workaround?
Thank you!

Glen Millar

Hi,

I tested here and don't have the same problem. But when you say the "lines"
go missing, I'm a bit lost. I pasted as a Excel Chart and then ungrouped.
Then got rid of the big transparent boxes. I had auto shapes left that were
the segments. Where are the lines that go missing?

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

Christine

Glen,
Thank you for your reply. What version of Powerpoint are
you using? Perhaps that's why you can't duplicate the
problem. The lines that disappear are those that separate
the pie pieces. So if you imagine a circle, the outside
line (perimeter/circumference) stays intact, but the lines
separating one pie piece from the next disappears. For
example, say I have a pie that has 3 segments. One is
blue, one is pink, one is green. Before I ungroup, the
perimeter line is black, and the blue, pink, and green
pieces each have a black line separating them. When I
ungroup, the black perimeter line is still there, but the
internal lines separating the blue, pink, and green pieces
are gone, i.e., there is no longer a black border between
each pie piece. Then I select the blue piece, for
example, and use "format autoshape" to change the line
style. For instance, I'll change the lines to red,
dashed, and 4pt. This change in line style only effects
the outside border of the pie piece. There still is not a
border separating the blue piece from the pink and green.
Does this make sense?

Best,
Christine

Sonia

You must be using PowerPoint 2000 or PowerPoint 97. The behavior is different
in PowerPoint 2002 and 2003.

The solution would be to upgrade or try to use the drawing line tool to add a
line.

Christine

Yes, Sonia. I'm using PP 2000. Thank for the suggestion
to use the line drawing tool to draw the lines back in. I
hadn't thought of this obvious workaround!
Regards,
Christine

Glen Millar

Christine,

I'm using 2003, and am even more pleased I have it <g>. My pieces come in as
pieces. And thanks to Sonia for spotting it.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com