Photo Gallery not working serverside

G

I am having a problem with getting the FrontPage 2002 directory structure to synch with the Unix directory structure. All of my photo galleries belong to the sub sites. FrontPage wants to put a photogallery123 folder under the root folder despite my having created it on a page within a sub folder (./public_html/subdomain.) As you may know, the photogallery123 folder contains thumbnails, html files and a javascript file.) The full scale photos reside under the sub site where I created the page.
This is causing three issues for me.
ISSUE 1: PHOTOS NOT VIEWABLE. Pages and images for sub sites are not visible if placed inside folders under the sub site root. All files must be loose under the sub site root. Instead of seeing a photo, all I get is the red x.
ISSUE 2: STORAGE TRACKING. Having the photogallery123 folders in my domain’s root folder makes it impossible for me to track disk space useage by subdomain.
ISSUE 3: Time Constraints If I use the click and drag approach to get the files back to where they need to be under the sub site, I run into the clock. Having to rename files and click and drag them one by one so that the references are updated is ridiculously time consuming and also labor intensive.
What is the file structure secret to getting photos to show up and to have all of the photos and related files kept together within their own folder?
I have no problems with the photos being viewable in the FP2002 preview tab, it is only after they are uploaded that they fail to work.
Thanks for any help in advance. It is greatly appreciated.

S

Steve Easton

I'm a little confused here.
public_html is the default "publish to" or root folder on a UNIX server, but it is never included in
a
domain or subweb name, or a path to a file or folder.

Example:
If your site is www.pictures.com it means your domain name is pictures.com
A standard folder named gallery1 would be accessed using www.pictures.com/gallery1 and gallery1 can
be a password protected folder. ( and should have an index.htm page that opens as the default page )

Also you should be able to create your photo gallery entirely inside gallery1

A subweb named gallery1 would be www.gallery1.pictures.com and can also be password protected.

When you publish from your local machine you publish the "contents" of your local web folder to the
public_html folder.
The public_html folder on the server takes the place of the web folder on your machine.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

webwranglertx said:
I am having a problem with getting the FrontPage 2002 directory structure to synch with the Unix
directory structure. All of my photo galleries belong to the sub sites. FrontPage wants to put a
photogallery123 folder under the root folder despite my having created it on a page within a sub
folder (./public_html/subdomain.) As you may know, the photogallery123 folder contains thumbnails,
html files and a javascript file.) The full scale photos reside under the sub site where I created
the page.
This is causing three issues for me.
ISSUE 1: PHOTOS NOT VIEWABLE. Pages and images for sub sites are not visible if placed inside
folders under the sub site root. All files must be loose under the sub site root. Instead of seeing
a photo, all I get is the red x.
ISSUE 2: STORAGE TRACKING. Having the photogallery123 folders in my domain's root folder makes it
impossible for me to track disk space useage by subdomain.
ISSUE 3: Time Constraints If I use the click and drag approach to get the files back to where
they need to be under the sub site, I run into the clock. Having to rename files and click and drag
them one by one so that the references are updated is ridiculously time consuming and also labor
intensive.
What is the file structure secret to getting photos to show up and to have all of the photos and
related files kept together within their own folder?
I have no problems with the photos being viewable in the FP2002 preview tab, it is only after they
are uploaded that they fail to work.

G

Possibly my host is doing things a little differently than others. In the example you used, a subdomain located my web hosting account server would have the URL of gallery1.pictures.com (no www.)
I am using the term "path" generically to mean this is the location of the item - not an actual URL.
When I first subscribed to my Unix account, I did not have a public_html folder in my Frontpage Web (I will call it "megabuckswebdesign") and all my sub sites (as Microsoft FP calls them) were located directly in the root of megabuckswebdesign. None of the photographs could be viewed on the server. An example of my sub site names are "realestatemogul" and "investmentbanker."
The subs were not viewable as they were originally placed in the root of megabuckswebdesign. None of my subs could be viewed until I created and placed the subs under the public_html folder in my megabucks web and published them. This was a total guess on my part since my web host's tech support guy is FrontPage Challenged and could offer no insight as far as what the file structure should look like within FP.
Tech Guy finally offered up that the directory structure under public_html could only be one folder deep. That is when I reorganized so that my customer realestatemogul's photo gallery was moved out of its sub-sub folder and into the root of the realestatemogul folder.
Now the photos show up just fine but the thumbnails do not. The reason is that FP distributed the thumbs folder with scripts (photogallery123) to the root of the parent folder - megabuckswebdesign. Right now I would be guessing as to why the components are being distributed in this fashion. I assume it must have to do with the FP extensions.
While this wouldn not be a problem for me personally, the problem is that each of my sub sites belong to a different customer and the majority of their disk useage for photos is going untracked and is bogging down the root domain of megabuckswebdesign.
I need a way for each sub site to have their own photos in their own sub folder (under the public_html folder.) Possibly the sub sites need to be converted to sub webs before I create the photo gallery components.
If someone knows, I would certainly appreciate finding out! :)
I hope this makes things a little clearer for you Stephen, your advice is greatly appreciated.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

FP can only publish to a root web or subwebs under the root web at a URL for your IP address:
root web
http://www.megabuckswebdesign.com/
and subweb http://www.megabuckswebdesign.com/gallery1 or
http://www.megabuckswebdesign.com/realestatemogul/ or
http://www.megabuckswebdesign.com/investmentbanker/

Your host may offer the ability to then map the FP subweb folders as subdomains as http://galery1.megabuckswebdesign.com/ or
http://gallery1.pictures.com

--

| Possibly my host is doing things a little differently than others. In the example you used, a subdomain located my web hosting
account server would have the URL of gallery1.pictures.com (no www.)
| I am using the term "path" generically to mean this is the location of the item - not an actual URL.
| When I first subscribed to my Unix account, I did not have a public_html folder in my Frontpage Web (I will call it
"megabuckswebdesign") and all my sub sites (as Microsoft FP calls them) were located directly in the root of megabuckswebdesign.
None of the photographs could be viewed on the server. An example of my sub site names are "realestatemogul" and "investmentbanker."
| The subs were not viewable as they were originally placed in the root of megabuckswebdesign. None of my subs could be viewed until
I created and placed the subs under the public_html folder in my megabucks web and published them. This was a total guess on my
part since my web host's tech support guy is FrontPage Challenged and could offer no insight as far as what the file structure
should look like within FP.
| Tech Guy finally offered up that the directory structure under public_html could only be one folder deep. That is when I
reorganized so that my customer realestatemogul's photo gallery was moved out of its sub-sub folder and into the root of the
realestatemogul folder.
| Now the photos show up just fine but the thumbnails do not. The reason is that FP distributed the thumbs folder with scripts
(photogallery123) to the root of the parent folder - megabuckswebdesign. Right now I would be guessing as to why the components are
being distributed in this fashion. I assume it must have to do with the FP extensions.
| While this wouldn not be a problem for me personally, the problem is that each of my sub sites belong to a different customer and
the majority of their disk useage for photos is going untracked and is bogging down the root domain of megabuckswebdesign.
| I need a way for each sub site to have their own photos in their own sub folder (under the public_html folder.) Possibly the sub
sites need to be converted to sub webs before I create the photo gallery components.
| If someone knows, I would certainly appreciate finding out! :)
| I hope this makes things a little clearer for you Stephen, your advice is greatly appreciated.
|

Ask a Question