Phone call from LOVEFiLM

Reaction score
I'm not very happy with them. I got a phone call from them at 1300 this afternoon. Here is my letter in response to it:

Christopher Postill
xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Cambridge
xxx xxx

Wednesday 14th January 2009

LOVEFiLM Customer Services
FREEPOST RRCA-EHAC-ZZKX
LOVEFiLM International
London
W3 6RU

RE: Uncomfortable Sales Call

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing with regards to a phone call I received from “Matt (Refused to give his last name)” from what I can only assume was your customer services or sales department.

A few months ago, I left LOVEFiLM because I decided that I wasn’t using the service as I didn’t find that I had the free time; coupled with the fact I have a Sky+ service, I concluded that my money would have been better directed elsewhere – especially given the current financial crisis.

Skip a few months forward, to today – Wednesday 14th January 2009 - at 1302 hours. My phone (number xxxxxxxxxxx) rings and I am greeted by a male on the end of the phone telling me that he has phoned to offer me “2 months for the price of 1” on any package because I am a “valued customer.”

I politely informed him that I wasn’t interested; this is when “Matt” started to become quite rude and aggressive, making the conversation incredibly uncomfortable and immediately putting me on the back foot having to act defensively.

I told Matt that I wasn’t using my service because I didn’t have the time, and that I had Sky+ at home. His reply was “Yeah but Sky is always showing repeats and you have to spend your time skipping through channels and there’s never anything on”

He then said “If you only have time to watch a couple of movies a month, I can offer you a deal on that – which makes it only a couple of quid a month”

Again I declined. He then said “Well if you watch Sky all day surely you want to watch a couple of movies?”

I politely said to him “I think your time would be better directed convincing someone else to sign up because I’m not in a position to sign up to anything today.”

Most people would take this as a hint that I am not interested – “Matt” replied with “Yeah but you don’t have to do anything, I just need the go ahead from you. Take a leap of faith Chris, this offer might not be running soon”

This conversation went on for 5 minutes and 22 seconds and I felt uncomfortable and agitated speaking to him. The parts of the conversation I have quoted are but a small percentage of what was said, and are by no means any worse than the rest of it.

If these are tactics employed by LOVEFiLM then I suggest you review your sales call policies because I am not easily agitated or annoyed by anything, yet this phone call left me seething that someone could be so rude and seemingly comfortable with making rash assumptions about my private and personal life/circumstances.

If these tactics, as I sincerely hope, are NOT tolerated by LOVEFiLM, then I suggest action is taken with regards “Matt” and his manner. I am sure that there are recipients of phone calls out there that WILL sign up to offer against their will because they do not want to hang the phone up on someone, and feel bullied into doing so.

I am simply appalled by the way “Matt” spoke to me today and it was by far the worst high pressure sales call I have ever received. I made it clear from the start that I did not want to sign up again but I was pushed to give reasons, and then to justify those reasons. And then I was pushed into buying the service ANYWAY.

I look forward to your reply and I will be interested as to how you wish to address my complaint, and indeed the issue at hand.

Yours Faithfully,

Christopher Postill

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well its very well written mate, to the point, i think you will make a fine copper.

I understand that all these cold callers have a job to do but i listen as far as to what they are selling and if its not something i want i just tell em that i'm not interested and have a nice day, then i put the phone down.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Well its very well written mate, to the point, i think you will make a fine copper.

Couldn't agree more there WF,

Very well written, nice and formal - you've expressed your opinions very clearly. hope that everything sorts its self out for you Chris :thumb:

Reaction score
I've been cold called before, but not to that extent. It was plain rude. I'm not going to hang up because i'm not that type of person - but I wasn't going to be pushed into buying anything either.

Reaction score
Well balanced letter & to the point Chris.
Suggest you sign up to the Telephone Preference Scheme which can stop may of these calls.
For more info click HERE

Reaction score
It was a call to my mobile - would this type of call come under TPS rules?

I'm signed up to TPS on the house phone :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, I wish I'd had that call, I usually manage to reduce those people to tears :D

Let us know if you get a reply Chris and yes, well done with the letter :thumb:

Oddly enough, I got a sales letter from Lovefilm yesterday offering me a month's free trial. I say odd because I've had an account with them ever since Amazon handed their business over to Lovefilm... :confused:

The pillocks. They do seem to have a very agressive sales policy don't they?

Reaction score
Strange that this topic has come up. Just this afternoon I got a unaddressed "letter" from "Lovefilm" It came with a load of other gumff,I just binned it as I do with all gumff.

historian

Reaction score
If it's got a reply envelope with it i send it back empty!
Dont get angry - get even, it's more fun.
nod.gif

Reaction score
We got an unaddressed sales letter too LOL.

I'll scan and post up any reply that may or may not be sent. I doubt they will take the time to reply, that is, if their management are as polite as Matt in sales :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
I've had one asking me to sign up and another offering me a free months trial, both of which went straight in the bin

Ask a Question