    locked for editing" by me.

    How can I avoid this?

    Ed

    Ed from AZ, Jun 24, 2008

  2. You could open the second and subsequent workbooks in the same instance of
    excel.

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, Jun 25, 2008

  3. Ed from AZ

    Ed from AZ Guest

    Did something change in XL2007 as to how the program handles opening
    multiple files? Or do I have a setting off somewhere? In XL2003, I
    could simple double-click another Excel file and it would open with no
    warnings. In XL2007, I have to drill down through the Open command to
    avoid this?? That's a royal pain!!

    Ed

    Ed from AZ, Jun 25, 2008
  4. In xl2003 and below, I'd do one of these:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
    excel's factory defaults.

    ====
    In xl2007, that first one is:
    Office button|excel options|Advanced category
    Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) (Uncheck it)

    --

    Dave Peterson

    Dave Peterson, Jun 25, 2008