Permissions on USB drives in Vista


J

JACK0306

Whenever I put a storage in my USB drive, when I try to access it, it
says Access is denied. I looked it up on google and found that it was
quite a common problem in Vista, and that the problem was in
permissions, and all I had to do was to take ownership of whatever I
had in my drive. However, when I try to do this, it says Access is
denied.

I have tried taking ownership using the hidden administrator account,
to no avail. It says that it is unable to display the current owner,
I'm not sure whether or not that has something to do with it.

I have also tried using the registry editor, and giving my self full
control over Mounted Devices, and taking ownership. I can do this, but
it still says unable to display owner on my USB drive and I am unable
to take ownership of the actual drive itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what to do.
 
Ad

Advertisements

L

Leo

Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder


Run CMD (as administrator) and type: takeown [path] /f <filename or folder>

OR

- Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties

- Click Security Tab

- Click Advanced

- Click the Owner Tab

- Click Edit

- Select the Administrators group from the list

- Click OK

- Click OK

- Click OK

You have now taken 'Ownership' of the file and you can close the property

Windows



Now again



1) Right-click on the file

2) Select Properties

3) Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button

4) Now Press Edit, then double-click 'Administrators' in the list and tick

the 'allow' box for 'Full control'



You have now taken 'Full control' of file


--
Leo

"I contend that, for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity, is
like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the
handle." - Winston Churchill
 
J

JACK0306

When I try to run takeown on the drive from the command line (as
administrator), it says "ERROR: Access is Denied".

Leo;705588 said:
Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder


Run CMD (as administrator) and type: takeown [path] /f filename or
folder

OR

- Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties

- Click Security Tab

- Click Advanced

- Click the Owner Tab

- Click Edit

- Select the Administrators group from the list

- Click OK

- Click OK

- Click OK

You have now taken 'Ownership' of the file and you can close the
property

Windows



Now again



1) Right-click on the file

2) Select Properties

3) Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button

4) Now Press Edit, then double-click 'Administrators' in the list and
tick

the 'allow' box for 'Full control'



You have now taken 'Full control' of file


--
Leo

"I contend that, for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity, is
like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the
handle." - Winston Churchill





"JACK0306" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Whenever I put a storage in my USB drive, when I try to access it, it
says Access is denied. I looked it up on google and found that it was
quite a common problem in Vista, and that the problem was in
permissions, and all I had to do was to take ownership of whatever I
had in my drive. However, when I try to do this, it says Access is
denied.

I have tried taking ownership using the hidden administrator account,
to no avail. It says that it is unable to display the current owner,
I'm not sure whether or not that has something to do with it.

I have also tried using the registry editor, and giving my self full
control over Mounted Devices, and taking ownership. I can do this,
but
it still says unable to display owner on my USB drive and I am unable
to take ownership of the actual drive itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what to do.
 
J

JACK0306

I don't have a directory Group Policy Objects in CurrentVersion. I hav
a folder Group Policy, but it doesnt seem to contain the key, i
contains folders
Group Membership, History, and Policy Application State.

'Ramesh MVP[_34_ said:
;705675']Run Registry Editor and delete the following key:

*HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group
Policy Objects\{0358F1C3-F107-4081-BD80-9277B0CDA98E}User*


--
Ramesh MVP

RAMESH KUMAR
Microsoft MVP: 'My MVP Profile'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Ramesh.Kumar)
My Blog: 'It's My Windows' ('it’s my Windows
(http://itsmywindows.com))
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ramesh MVP's Profile: 'Windows Vista Help Forum - View Profile: Rames
MVP' (http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=17)
View this thread: 'Permissions on USB drives in Vista - Windows Vist
Help Forum' (http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20417
 
J

JACK0306

Running an elevated command prompt, takeown fails: "ERROR: Access is
Denied."

It says unable to display the current owner, which makes me think that
some other program might be locking me out, but im not sure. I am able
to use the drive in safe mode.

'Ramesh MVP[_38_ said:
;705953']Ok Jack0306 !! follow the steps
'how-to-take-ownership-or-privileges-of-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista'
('it’s my Windows » Blog Archive » How to take ownership or
privileges of files and folders in Windows Vista'
(http://tinyurl.com/3fyegt))

You have to execute all commands under elevated command prompt
so...just run CMD as Administrator


--
Ramesh MVP

RAMESH KUMAR
Microsoft MVP: 'My MVP Profile'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Ramesh.Kumar)
My Blog: 'It's My Windows' ('it’s my Windows'
(http://itsmywindows.com))
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ramesh MVP's Profile: 'Windows Vista Help Forum - View Profile: Ramesh
MVP' (http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=17)
View this thread: 'Permissions on USB drives in Vista - Windows Vista
Help Forum' (http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20417)
 
J

JACK0306

Does anyone know how to kill the Group Policy Client? I've installed
SP1, so GPMC is removed, and I only have 4 admx files, so I think it's
something screwed up with my Group Policy that is locking me out from
my USB drive.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

JACK0306

How can I open the Policy Editor? When I try to run GPEdit.msc it
fails.

'Ramesh MVP[_47_ said:
;706904']JACK0306;91425 Wrote: -
Does anyone know how to kill the Group Policy Client? I've installed
SP1, so GPMC is removed, and I only have 4 admx files, so I think
it's
something screwed up with my Group Policy that is locking me out from
my USB drive.
JACK0306-

open Group Policy Editor and

Right click on Local Computer Policy and choose Properties.
Now check both check boxes "Disable Computer Config. Settings and
Disable User Config Settings"


--
Ramesh MVP

RAMESH KUMAR
Microsoft MVP: 'My MVP Profile'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Ramesh.Kumar)
My Blog: 'It's My Windows' ('it’s my Windows'
(http://itsmywindows.com))
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ramesh MVP's Profile: 'Windows Vista Help Forum - View Profile: Ramesh
MVP' (http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=17)
View this thread: 'Permissions on USB drives in Vista - Windows Vista
Help Forum' (http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20417)
 
R

R. C. White

Hi, Jack.

Just press Start, type in "gpedit.msc", and press Enter - and then furnish
Administrator credentials. And you may have to wait a few seconds. It took
about 5 seconds to start up on my machine, during which time I wondered if
it had failed.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)

JACK0306 said:
How can I open the Policy Editor? When I try to run GPEdit.msc it
fails.

'Ramesh MVP[_47_ said:
;706904']JACK0306;91425 Wrote: -
Does anyone know how to kill the Group Policy Client? I've installed
SP1, so GPMC is removed, and I only have 4 admx files, so I think
it's
something screwed up with my Group Policy that is locking me out from
my USB drive.
JACK0306-

open Group Policy Editor and

Right click on Local Computer Policy and choose Properties.
Now check both check boxes "Disable Computer Config. Settings and
Disable User Config Settings"
 
D

Dave

Remember... Home versions of Vista don't have it....


--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview


R. C. White said:
Hi, Jack.

Just press Start, type in "gpedit.msc", and press Enter - and then furnish
Administrator credentials. And you may have to wait a few seconds. It
took about 5 seconds to start up on my machine, during which time I
wondered if it had failed.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)

JACK0306 said:
How can I open the Policy Editor? When I try to run GPEdit.msc it
fails.

'Ramesh MVP[_47_ said:
;706904']JACK0306;91425 Wrote: -
Does anyone know how to kill the Group Policy Client? I've installed
SP1, so GPMC is removed, and I only have 4 admx files, so I think
it's
something screwed up with my Group Policy that is locking me out from
my USB drive.
JACK0306-

open Group Policy Editor and

Right click on Local Computer Policy and choose Properties.
Now check both check boxes "Disable Computer Config. Settings and
Disable User Config Settings"
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top