permissions needed for /console option?

G

what permissions are needed to connect using the /console option to windows server 2003?
are these permissions configurable? how?
or, do you have to be a member of local Administrators on the server to get the console session?

example:
i have a regular Domain User who is a menber of the Remote Desktop Users group on a 2003 server. the Domain User can logon via remote desktop connection as well as logon to the physical console of the server, but when attempting to use the /console option for remote desktop, gets a 'you do not have permissions to logon to this session' error. what permissions do i have to grant for Domain User to be able to use the /console option?

thanks!

V

Vera Noest [MVP]

Could it be that there is an active session running on the physical
console?
Since you can only have one single console session, the user taking
over an existing console session must have the right to do so.

I

Ivan Leichtling [MSFT]

The user attempting to login to the console session remotely must
either be an administrator OR the user currently logged onto the
console physically.

what permissions are needed to connect using the /console option to windows server 2003?
are these permissions configurable? how?
or, do you have to be a member of local Administrators on the server to get the console session?

example:
i have a regular Domain User who is a menber of the Remote Desktop Users group on a 2003 server. the Domain User can logon via remote desktop connection as well as logon to the physical console of the server, but when attempting to use the /console option for remote desktop, gets a 'you do not have permissions to logon to this session' error. what permissions do i have to grant for Domain User to be able to use the /console option?

thanks!

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

G

yes, this appears to be correct. an administrator can get the /console session at any time, but a regular user must already be logged onto the physical console before remote /console will work. a bit of strange functionality, but better than if only administrators could use /console
thanks.

Ask a Question