pen drive problems

Reaction score
I have a pendrive related problem. This problem first occured a few months ago when I connected my 4GB pendrive.My computer displayed it. Then a few days later it didnot display the pen drive . I reinstalled latest drivers but it still didnot work. I reinstalled my window and tried it again but it still didn't show up. I tried it on other computers also but i encountered same problem. Then I took a pendrive of one of my friends and connected it. It worked for the first time but when I connected to an other computer it encounterd the same problem. In other words,when I connect any Pendrive to my computer it does not work afterwards on any computer not even on mine. I have tried all the ways which some of you suggested to an other member of this site but they didn't help me including modifying registry. PLEASE HELP ME! I have wasted four pendrives like this and I want to remove this problem. I will be very grateful to you if you can HELP me.

Reaction score
When the pendrive is connected goto to disk management in computer management, administrative tools and see if it's listed.
The most common cause is that the pendrive is assigned a drive letter that is used for something else... i.e mobile phone or satnav.
If it appears just assign it a different letter (I use P: for pendrives and L: for external HD's)

Other possibilities.... You're experiancing the "Mac Effect".... this is where Macs will change the File allocation of the device... most common with old style IPODs.
You may have a defective USB controller.... scrambling the pendrive
You may be using USB v1.... issues have been found with this revision and newer devices... generally you need USB revision 1.1 or newer (i.e 2 or if you wait a lil bit, version 3).

Write back what you find please.

JaLing

Reaction score
"pendrive cannot be formatted"

i hav a transcend 4 gb pendrive and every time wen i plug in it in any comp and open it ,it gives a message...."the drive x: is not formatted.....do u want to do it know......yes or no " and wen i click in yes it says that the drive cannot be formatted.....plz help.....i kno my comp is virus,trojans and autoruns.inf free.....plz check it out...........

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This is a long shot for both problems. By the way it is alwasy best to start your own thread for individual problems.

Download and burn Parted Magic it is a Live linux distro. Then boot from the PM Live CD, plug in your pen drive and it should show up in the GUI. you should be able to re-format the drive with PM.

Hope this helps out.

:wave:

Ask a Question