PCI-E 16 questions

Reaction score
Well, I have just read a little in PCI-E 16 for graphics purposes it seems sick!!! I heard that if you have more then one PCI-E 16 slot on your motherboard you can buy more than one graphics card and link them together like the old Voodoo cards. Any one have any experiance with this? I have been looking for motherboards with more then one PCI-E 16 slot and I cant find any. Anyone have any experience with this? Recomendations? Thanks - Chad

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've seen something about this a while back, Alienware hooked up 2 6800 Ultras. Sounds scary! http://www.alienware.com/alx_pages/main_content.aspx

At the moment its only Nvidia bothering with making there cards compatible with a dual video card setup. You have to use the same make and model of graphics card to do it, then connect them both with a little cable between them from what ive seen.

I dont fancy it meself, you would need a pretty hefty budget and power supply in the region of 500w to hook up 2 6800 Ultras.

Reaction score
from what i have heard you can only do this with the geforce 6600 so far, with the pci-e 16 slot....I dont know. for games like Everquest2 and Matrix online coming out I want all the graphics capability i can get.

Reaction score
I just saw that the 6800 also have a pci-e card, so I stand corrected before I am actually corrected. :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Coops320 said:
from what i have heard you can only do this with the geforce 6600 so far, with the pci-e 16 slot....I dont know. for games like Everquest2 and Matrix online coming out I want all the graphics capability i can get.
A 6800Ultra or an X800XT PE should easily handle them games at the highest quality paired with a decent processor and at least a gig of ram.

Reaction score
So it seems even though I just built a new system about 4 months ago I am going to have to sell my motherboard and get a pci-e supported one. When I built my system i didnt get a new video card as I wanted to wait till the last possible moment. Guess I am going to be looking for a 6800 ultra pci-e card now. Thanks for the figures. - Chad

Ask a Question