PCI BUS/BOARD PROBLEMS

G

Hello

I am having a problem that quite frankly has me baffled and livid.

Configuration
First of all we are an OEM that is using W2K with a National Instruments PCI-6527 digital Input/Output PCI board. We have developed a new product using this NI board within the past 6 months. The problem with our system began to occur when we went into production on the new product. We have found that the latest hardware revision of the NI board will only reliably work when we install 2 more, non-specific PCI, boards into our backplane. The development NI boards were an earlier hardware revision.

Scenarios
1) Motherboard 1, W2K, SP3, 1 PCI-6527, no other PCI boards. Not working reliably – I/O Board will function briefly and then stop. Sandra tests` indicate system loses sight of board on the PCI bus

2) Motherboard 1, W2K, SP3, 1 PCI-6527, 2 other PCI boards installed. Working reliably. It does not matter what type of additional PCI boards are installed. I/O board works reliably in all case

3) Motherboard 2, W2K, SP3, 1 PCI-6527, no other PCI boards. Working reliabl

For scenario 1, when I run the Sandra tests on both the old and new hardware revisions of the NI board, the only significant difference item I observed is the PCI Latency of the boards.

The new hardware revision of the NI board will always follow the PCI latency number that is set in the BIOS. i.e. If the PCI latency in the BIOS is set to 32 PCI clock cycles, the Sandra test shows the board at a setting of 32. Identical for 64 and so on

The old hardware revision of the board will always show a PCI latency of 8 in the Sandra tests no matter what PCI latency setting is set in the BIOS

So you say the solution is simple, Ask NI for a fix since it is obviously their problem. Here is where the livid part comes into play. NI is very very slow in attempting to reach a solution and insensitive to how critical this is to our company! Their engineering is supposedly working on this. However their only solution offered after a few weeks is to sell us some used old rev boards to fix the problem. What kind of solution is that!!!!

Therefore, does anybody have experience or have a copy of the pci.sys file detailed in the following tech note? I really hate to spend $245 dollars on a phone call if I do know that the file will fix my problem

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 824395 Interrupts That Come from a PCI Device That Uses a Windows NT 4.0-Style Driver Are Ignored (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer20a&sd=GN#faq1400

Does anybody have any comments or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated

B

Bob I

Please read the NOTE. THEY WAIVE THE FEE IF ALL YOU ASK FOR IS THE HOTFIX.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product
Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs,
visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support
calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines
that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support
costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not
qualify for the specific update in question.

Ask a Question