PC powers down randomly, Overheating CPU?

Reaction score
Hey guys! :D

I've been having a problem recently...

When my pc is performing complex tasks (and actually sometimes when it isn't) it will randomly power down, as if i have pulled the plug!

For example, recently i have found that i can't play the game GTA IV for more than about 10 minutes before my PC powers down! Curiously i checked my CPU temperature and it was about 127 Degrees C... Just after a "power down" moment.

I don't really know if this is a high, or low temperature for a CPU... So i am thinking that my power downs could be related to an overheating CPU?

So before i buy a new heat sink, i thought i'd check here, to make sure i have my facts right.

One thing i'll mention, is that when installing my Heat sink, i had some trouble, and i had to leave one of the 4 "plugs" out, and therefore is only held in my 3 plugs.

My Mobo is an Asus P5N32-E SLI
My CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
And the Heat Sink is just the usual one that is given WITH the Intel processor.

Thanks in advance :D

Reaction score
Ouch 127?!?

You need to get that other fixing sorted mate, before you cause some irrepairable damage to the CPU

Also you are now going to have to use some new heatsink compound aswell

Check all your fans and heatsinks are not blocked with dust etc

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
127C is way too high and would cause those kind of issues, however if its 127F (52C) then its OK.....are you sure its centigrade?

Download and run CoreTemp and see what temps it shows.

Leaving out one of the clamp screws will make the contact between the CPU and heatsink uneven and could well be the cause.

Reaction score
I have seen this problem before and the cause was the CPU fan was not mounted down correctly. Once reseated and new paste applied it was fine.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I have just ran coretemp.

And i have found this information:

CPU #0 Temperature readings:

TJ. Max: 100Degrees C
Core #0: 74 Degrees C
Core #1: 74 Degrees C

I can see now that my CPU is... Well... Pretty Hot.

What do you think is the best course of action?

Stop playing big games and buy a new heat sink?

Because i can't really finish exams, and stuff without my PC... But i don't mind not playing a game or two for a while if i can fix this soon ^^

Thanks alot by the way :D

Edit: When i read that it was 127 Degrees C... It was through the bios settings... and it was literally JUST after my PC powered down from playing GTA IV..

If bios default is farenheit, then perhaps i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure it was Degrees C

Reaction score
Roflcopter66 said:
What do you think is the best course of action?

Stop playing big games and buy a new heat sink?

The best course of actio for you is as the other have pointed out..Is to reseat your heat sink with new thermal paste and ALL 4 of the locating plugs...Uneven heatsink on CPU = Silly high tempratures.........Do that and run core temp again and your temps will be right down...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
The best course of actio for you is as the other have pointed out..Is to reseat your heat sink with new thermal paste and ALL 4 of the locating plugs...Uneven heatsink on CPU = Silly high tempratures.........Do that and run core temp again and your temps will be right down...

Alternativly rename the pc to ROME and buy a fiddle.
laughingsmiley.gif

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274

You might find this useful.

Funnily enough they do mention burning pc's.

"and it can even make the CPU burn, in extreme cases."

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Hmm.. I have tried "reseating" my heat sink before. And the 4th plug will not fit, for what reason, i don't know... but it just will not fit.

So i don't know if that could be the problem and if i should get another heat sink :S

But i'll try again anyway, and if not...

Then i'll get a new heat sink completely.

I'm sure you get a heat sink paste with a new heat sink anyway? :)

Thanks a tonne everyone :D

Reaction score
Roflcopter66 said:
Hmm.. I have tried "reseating" my heat sink before. And the 4th plug will not fit, for what reason, i don't know... but it just will not fit.

So i don't know if that could be the problem and if i should get another heat sink :S

But i'll try again anyway, and if not...

Then i'll get a new heat sink completely.

I'm sure you get a heat sink paste with a new heat sink anyway? :)

Thanks a tonne everyone :D

Do you mean that the 4th pin plug will not press down into the slot? Make sure that the clips are not bent and could be stopping it from slotting in, are you mounting this in the case or out of the case?

If you get a new Heat sink then you usually get the paste as well, I change the paste that comes with the heat sink for better quality paste.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
As far as pastes go, ive been using Artic Silver 5 for a few years now. I still recommend it.

Ask a Question