PC or Space Heater??

Reaction score
Here is a question, why is it my pc heats up my room like 10 degrees. Seriously, the area near the computer is way hotter than any other area of my room. (even with all fans at full speed)

The PC seems to be well ventalated, its up on a shelf about 2 feet off the ground and it has 4 fans not includong the power supply fan. The power supply only has one fan and i have changed the processor fan on the computer to an 80mm versus the 60 mm that was there. I don't think this is normal output for a pc. Also the other day I was playing a game (D+D Demon Stone) and after like 8 hours of perfect game play, video got a lil shaky and my pc restarted.

Parts are as follows: Guardain mid case, amd athalon 3200+, 400w oroian PSU, dvd rw, cd rom, floppy, 8 n 1 card reader, 4 channel fan controller, 5 80 mm fans, also 1 blue CC, 1 green CC, and 2 uv CC.

Any help on this would be appreciated. At the moment I'm thinking of upgrading to a 64bit processor and board but would really like to go a lil longer until the really drop in price. For now I've ordered a new PSU a 520w (its premoded, sleeved and has 2 fans). I'm hoping this will help. Any ideas?

Reaction score
You tried water cooling?

apart from that at least you can save electricity by turning the heaters off.

Reaction score
Raje said:
Here is a question, why is it my pc heats up my room like 10 degrees. Seriously, the area near the computer is way hotter than any other area of my room. (even with all fans at full speed)

You've told us that the room heats up, but what's the temp of your CPU - check your bios and let us know.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Get a better CPU cooler and fan combo and use arctic silver thermal compound.

However, that may cool your CPU down, but the heat's gotta go somewhere, so....

..... open the window ;)

Consider this one XP 90 with a 92mm Pabst or Panaflo fan.

.-=ManQ=-.

<a href="http://www.boltonpc.co.uk">BoltonPC</a> R
Reaction score
Tee Hee

The types of fan you use and the cooling system you use are all irrelevant, your CPU, memory, Hard drives, Video cards, et al. all create heat to some extent, that heat has to be exhausted from the PC. I think your problem is your room ventilation

Here's a solution for you, just make sure the rest of the doors and windwos are closed or you'll lose extraction LOL

room_cool.jpg

Reaction score
So any way, Hmm ok I know the computer does generate heat, I'm just thinking this is more heat than normal. I've ordered a better power supply because the air comming from the existing on is hot, not warm - "HOT." Thinking I'm maxing it out and it heating up the whole case. I'm going to add a blow hole to the top of the case as well. But for now I just put an ocilating fan near the computer, sucking all the hot air out to try and disperse it better. As far as the temp of the processor --- I feel ashamed to say , I couldn't find it in my BIOS. Where would it be located in award bios??

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
My computer also makes my room rather hot, its nice in the winter a lttle too warm in the summer!
Welcome to the Forums ManQ (nice pic :D)

.-=ManQ=-.

<a href="http://www.boltonpc.co.uk">BoltonPC</a> R
Reaction score
Raje said:
So any way, Hmm ok I know the computer does generate heat, I'm just thinking this is more heat than normal. I've ordered a better power supply because the air comming from the existing on is hot, not warm - "HOT." Thinking I'm maxing it out and it heating up the whole case. I'm going to add a blow hole to the top of the case as well. But for now I just put a fan near it sucking all the hot air out to try and disperse it better. As far as the temp of the processor --- I feel ashamed to say , I couldn't find it in my BIOS. Where would it be located in award bios??

I wouldnt do any more until you know what your CPU temp is running at. On my PC, which is award bios, the CPU temp is under "PC Health Status" but if you cant find it in BIOS, it should be displayed (if not briefly) in the start-up BIOS screen.

The new PSU will most likely run coolerdue to less load on it, but the rest of the system wont be affected much.

P.S. Cheers for the welcome Alf. Good to be here.

Reaction score
Well I have changed the PSU and it has helped a bit, also I got it pre-modded so it looks a lot better and wire management has improved. But Its definatley the room-- as summer is approaching the way light enters my room its a friggin sauna in the corner where I keep my desk and pc. I'll have to move it, though its a shame, it was perfect where it was. =(

Reaction score
why don't you try an exhaust that leads to the attic if its unoccupied, or maybe through a window. I am planning mine to feed hot air into the attic, the only problem so far is that my parents do not want me to make a hole in the ceiling. But after last months electric bill, this exhaust will probably be allowed to take place. The A/C has been working too hard to keep the house cool, especially since the thermostat is right near my room. My computer has a 3.06 Intel Processor, a 9800xt, 1GB of ram, and a thermaltake PSU. The biggest problem is that it is doing a total of 140 CFMs. So you can only imagine how quickly it distributes hot air around the room, and eventually to the house.

Ask a Question