Mem. 4 X Geil 1GB DDR2 800 CL5.0 16 CHIP BRUSH

Psu 380W ATX

Graphics Card NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GT 512MB Mem. Running two monitors

Hard Drive Maxtor 320GB SATA –II

OS XP Pro

Anti virus AGV

Fire Wall Zone Alarm

Spy Ware SpyBot Search & Destroy

My problem is after my pc as been running for between 10 & 30 minutes it locks up it doesn’t matter if I am using it or if it is standing the mouse pointer still moves around the screen if I click on the close button it changes colour but does nothing

The task Bar does not respond nor does Control Alt & Delete the only thing I can do to get out of it is to switch off.

If I try to reboot strait away it stalls at varying stages some times right up to the wallpaper but no icons or task bar.

[font="]If I leave it for 20 to 30 minutes it will boot ok & run happily for hours[/font]

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi and welcome :wave: congrats on posting your specs most don't.

Sounds like it could be overheating, or possibly a power issue, could also be the memory or the hard drive failing.

What make is the PSU as 380W is enough to run your PC but if its a cheap one then that could be the problem.

Also i take it your on Vista?

Reaction score
Hi
thahks fore the quick reply i don't know what make my psu is but i have just ad it in for repare with a faulty psu
it was a 400W but thay Replaced with a 380W But would the allow it to run for hours after the reboot

Reaction score
gimp said:
Hi

I hope some one can help; I have a strange problem first off my system

Motherboard asus skt-am2 m2n-sli deluxe

Processor Athlon 64 X2 5000+ skt

Mem. 4 X Geil 1GB DDR2 800 CL5.0 16 CHIP BRUSH

Psu 380W ATX

Graphics Card NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GT 512MB Mem. Running two monitors

Hard Drive Maxtor 320GB SATA –II

OS XP Pro

Anti virus AGV

Fire Wall Zone Alarm

Spy Ware SpyBot Search & Destroy

My problem is after my pc as been running for between 10 & 30 minutes it locks up it doesn’t matter if I am using it or if it is standing the mouse pointer still moves around the screen if I click on the close button it changes colour but does nothing

The task Bar does not respond nor does Control Alt & Delete the only thing I can do to get out of it is to switch off.

If I try to reboot strait away it stalls at varying stages some times right up to the wallpaper but no icons or task bar.

[font="]If I leave it fore 20 to 30 minutes it will boot ok & run happily for hours[/font]

Could be a multitude of things causing this problem...Have you run Spybot to see if it picks up anything..?? Viruses can cause these sort pf problems to...PSU does look a bit under powered for what you have...Waynos would be able to answer that a bit better, its more his area...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Try taking any 2 sticks of RAM out if you have 4.

I'm pretty sure that XP can't even use that, espcially if your graphics is 512mb as well.

Reaction score
Did you build it yourself?

Have you checked to make sure all fans and heatsinks are clean. Dust and grim/grease collection on fins of HSF and Northbridge chipset can add to weight equaling problems to cooling so even though they are spinning the airflow ratio might not be enough

And yes it could be the PSU. How long has this been occuring for?

And why did they put a 380 in instead of another 400. You replace and item with equal or more never less!!
How long ago was it replaced?

Reaction score
And again i'm going to say run Spybot and the like and check for viruses etc........
wallbash.gif

Reaction score
MadX not everything is down to Trojans and Spyware my friend. Sometimes a more simple problem is the culprit.

Make sure you dont bang your head too hard You may do it damage :p

Reaction score
Me thinks its to do with the PSU. Open the case and have a look at all the connections making sure they are seated firmly especially the 4pin 12v supply its at the top left side by the I/O the wires are Black/Yellow.
Looking at the MOBO spec 380w is a bit low a 450/500w would be better:nod: and to remove a 400w and replace with 380w Ummmm odd that.

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Sometimes a more simple problem is the culprit.

Yeah and not everything is down to overheating...Please do tell me in any of what gimp wrote pouints to overheating...?Seems people are quick to jump at over heating etc...MAjor things in my eyes...I have spent many a night reading through old posts and it seems like a lot of scare mongering goes on...People saying this or that could be up with the mobo, psu, etc when it has turned out to be something simple like a virus...
So my money is on a virus or something like that...In my opinion and experience when things over heat or are under powered they shut down, not hang....

As you can see I have used your quote and i'm sticking to it...We will just wait and see what gimp has to say...
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
But wouldn't a Virus be apparent from the get go?

I know that not all are but one good enough to hang the PC, then on restart not let it, leaving it an hour or two then restarting should make no difference, i say should but am well aware of how fickle PC's can be.

Whereas if it was overheating it would explain why it can't restart, especially if it was the graphics card that was overheating as it would hang if it wasn't cool enough to resart the PC.

In theory 380W is plenty for the system, but if its a cheap one then its Max Output is gonna be about 300W and then it wouldn't be 80% efficient so in relaity it could be 250W, i know it could be 350W as well but i'm just trying to make a point. Also its a replacement who says it isn't a repaired one or 3 years old already???

If its 2 years old and never been cleaned then it could be caked in dust, takes afew hours to build up the heat in the case?? Or if its the HSF thats struggling seconds on the restart.

So if he is browsing for a few hours then plays a game it will brown out, hang or shut down you pick, then on restart the capacitors or the whole PSU hasn't discharged because its cheap and hence the shaky non restart.

I ain't arguing as i respect your opinion as you know more about PC's than i do, just thought i add me moneys worth and explain how I thought it could be Overheating or PSU.

But as we know it could absolutely anything.

After buying my chick a newish car my 11p is on too much memory.

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Yeah and not everything is down to overheating...Please do tell me in any of what gimp wrote pouints to overheating...?Seems people are quick to jump at over heating etc...MAjor things in my eyes...I have spent many a night reading through old posts and it seems like a lot of scare mongering goes on...People saying this or that could be up with the mobo, psu, etc when it has turned out to be something simple like a virus...
So my money is on a virus or something like that...In my opinion and experience when things over heat or are under powered they shut down, not hang....

As you can see I have used your quote and i'm sticking to it...We will just wait and see what gimp has to say...
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif

Damn I thought I could be uptight at times. Calm down mate we all here to help not criticise!

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Damn I thought I could be uptight at times. Calm down mate we all here to help not criticise!

lol Triple x, i'm not uptight mate...I just think that sometimes people jump at the worst fault possible..Thats all..As for the head banging I added that was just for you...

@Wayne...Viruses are funny things and can work in very mysterious ways...I hjhave seen viruses that will rear their ugly heads only when a certain key combination is used, and viruses that hide away for days then suddenly appear..If you're good at what you're doing you can make a viruus do what ever you want ti to do...As for knowing more about Pc's than you ...hmmmm debatable...I have a laod of qualifications, but they don't mean sh*t really...
And as you say it could be absolutely anything reeally...

Reaction score
Hi again
No I didn’t build it my self
I don’t know why they replaced the psu with a 380W
Looking back I think it started not that long after they replaced the psu
I’ve run avg spybot & adaware
Thanks every one I think it looks like it must go back reluctantly, it’s still under warranty but the service is very slow

Once a gain THANKS

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry I didn’t see page two until after I sent the last reply, I can’t see it being hover heating as it hangs up after the first 10 to 30 minutes of starting from cold and when I get it to reboot it will run for hour’s shorly if it was a hover heating problem it would hover heat during them hour’s of running.
Is the hard drive a possibility?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If it sunds like a coffee perculator then maybe, TRY copying large ormultuiple fles back and forth, will give you an idea ifits maybe Hard DRive.

Reaction score
gimp said:
Hi again
No I didn’t build it my self
I don’t know why they replaced the psu with a 380W
Looking back I think it started not that long after they replaced the psu
I’ve run avg spybot & adaware
Thanks every one I think it looks like it must go back reluctantly, it’s still under warranty but the service is very slow & by the looks of it not very good

Once a gain THANKS

For interest sake, what did Spybot searcch and destroy, and Super Anti Spyware pic up...?I am interested, As honestly In my opinion I don't beleive it has owt to do wit over heating....

Reaction score
Hi
Adaware found 5 ie cache entries data minder
Avg was clear
I hope there isn’t to much info here
Spybot found

--- Search result list ---
RegistryHelper: [SBI $076B8445] Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Disk Cleaner

RegistryHelper: [SBI $AB422E1A] Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Registry Helper

RegistryHelper: [SBI $87692939] Text file (File, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\Registry Helper Log.txt

RegistryHelper: [SBI $513F8570] Data (File, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\Settings\BackupOptions.efs

RegistryHelper: [SBI $2C592478] Data (File, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\Settings\Ignored.efs

RegistryHelper: [SBI $EE389774] Data (File, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\Settings\Options.efs

RegistryHelper: [SBI $EA83A308] Data (File, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\Settings\Settings.efs

RegistryHelper: [SBI $3CA9C64B] Program directory (Directory, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\Full Backups\

RegistryHelper: [SBI $14F30AAA] Program directory (Directory, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\Item Backups\

RegistryHelper: [SBI $E87A79A8] Program directory (Directory, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\Settings\

RegistryHelper: [SBI $D92E5773] Program directory (Directory, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\Startup Manager\

RegistryHelper: [SBI $AAD70E5F] Program directory (Directory, nothing done)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Registry Helper\

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $D952D8BB] Class ID (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B15FD82E-85BC-430d-90CB-65DB1B030510}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $590CA7CC] Class ID (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F0D4B231-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $2E33E144] Class ID (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F0D4B239-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $ACCE370C] Class ID (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F0D4B23B-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $16DF808B] Interface (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{F0D4B23A-DA4B-4DAF-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $0B105129] Interface (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{F0D4B23C-DA4B-4DAF-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $DCB82066] Type library (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{F0D4B230-DA4B-4DAF-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $CD97DE2F] Browser helper object (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{F0D4B231-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $9B0AB1A3] Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{F0D4B23B-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $B267ADF3] IE toolbar (Registry value, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-507921405-1604221776-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\{F0D4B239-DA4B-4DAF-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

MyWay.MyWebSearch: [SBI $11334F10] IE toolbar (Registry value, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\{F0D4B239-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA}

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
To be sure you don't have any "other" nasties go get SUPERAntiSpyware it is a far superior program than SBSD, try it for yourself.

AVG free is a waste of hard drive space, time & money. :thumb:

Then, download HijackThis and go to HERE and post your log.

A 380 PSU is a little lacking for your system and could contribute to PC lockups, I strongly suggest you replace it.

user.gif

Ask a Question