pc keeps blowing fuses in plug!!!!

Reaction score
Hi i am a newbie to this site, I am racking my brains with my pc and its driving me insane. It keeps blowing fuses. I could be burning a cd , running a virus scan, simple stuff on pc, burning a dvd and guess what the 5 amp fuse in the power plug keeps blowing. Does anyone know what this could be ? Could it be pc power supply? I have a 400 watt power supply. Thanx to you all for looking at this Deanne

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
OK Deanne

Welcome first of all!!

Can we start with the simple stuff, is it just the PC or anything else that's blowing? My house has been rewired recently and occasionally one of the main fuses trips (but no individual fuses blow).

Blown fuses usually indicate that too much power is getting through and is a safety mechanism. If there are no problems elsewhere I would suggest getting it checked with a local electrician.

Let us know how you get on.

Gabs x

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A 5A fuse shouldn't blow easily - and I wouldn't stick a 13A in there as it must be blowing for a reason. Did it come with a 5A fuse already fitted?

Also, do you know your PSU make?

Reaction score
Hi Gabs,
Thankyou for your welcome.
It is just the pc that is blowing, i just ran a virus scan and the fuse blew from that!!! i have the pc plugged into a surge protector, we thought maybe it was this so we plugged the fuse into another plug without a surge protector and it still did the same. its such a nightmare cant do anything!!!!

gabriella said:
OK Deanne

Welcome first of all!!

Can we start with the simple stuff, is it just the PC or anything else that's blowing? My house has been rewired recently and occasionally one of the main fuses trips (but no individual fuses blow).

Blown fuses usually indicate that too much power is getting through and is a safety mechanism. If there are no problems elsewhere I would suggest getting it checked with a local electrician.

Let us know how you get on.

Gabs x

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Yes the pc came with a "kettle lead" with a fitted 5amp fuse inside, this is the fuse that is blowing, i just took the cover off the pc and the power supply is "golorsit" (couldnt really see but hopefully its that) 400w , I been told not to put a 13 amp in the plug so i wouldnt do that today already i have put in 2 new fuses, i was running a virus scan, and the next i had a few internet pages open and then the pc went off grrrrrrrr. I am just running out of patience with it as we cant do anything on here cant burn cds/dvds ,virus scan its a nightmare!!
Ian Cunningham said:
A 5A fuse shouldn't blow easily - and I wouldn't stick a 13A in there as it must be blowing for a reason. Did it come with a 5A fuse already fitted?

Also, do you know your PSU make?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Colorsit maybe? I hadn't heard of them until I googled for it, and I can't tell if it is a good make or not - it appears not.

Is this a new PC? I'd advise a new power supply if possible, so if its quite new I'd take it back.

Reaction score
If the plug is not bonded on to the cable check the connections inside it.
If there is any discolouration (brown marks) anywhere on the plug or lead there is probably a loose connection there. You can cut off the bonded plug and fit an ordinary one in it's place if it looks dodgy.
I would definitely try a new lead before anything else.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
DO NOT fit a higher rating fuse. I'm glad to see you haven't.

Fuses blow for a reason and as Ian pointed out, it takes something nasty to blow a 5 amp fuse.

If I had to gamble, iffy PSU or dodgy mains cable.

First, try a new Euro lead/mains cable. If problem still there, definitely suspect PSU.

Reaction score
I Have The Same Problem

Dear Deanne

Last night I have come across exactly the same problem, so can I ask If you have fixed the problem and if so how. My problem had arisen while downloading stuff.

Many Thanks

Pinna3333

Ask a Question