Patio cleaner

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yep, that's right - patio cleaner, can anybody recommend a brand?

Two winters have turned me paving stones a yucky shade of algae green in places and I want to clean it off.

I don't have a hosepipe but I do have two large buckets so could rinse it off that way but would prefer stuff that you just pour/brush/spray on and forget about it, presumably letting the rain wash it away.

I note there are lots of different types available so that's why I'm asking if anybody has any experience of a brand they could recommend.

The one that's caught my eye so far is Jeyes, available at B & Q.

I also note that the eco-friendly cleaners seem to cost twice as much and in my experience of 'eco-friendly' products probably aren't very effective. I'd love to be proved wrong though and if the greeny product was good I'd shell out a bit more.

Reaction score
Jeyes is a good brand.:thumb:
May need to put it on neat & then add some water to clean off some stubborn areas.
What strengths does Jeyes come in?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
You could also consider using dilute bleach. Our pathway tends to get a bit green with algae growth too, but some bleach solution usually does the trick. (You don't need to gas yourself with the strong-pong bleaches, the "lemon" or neutral-smelling ones are just as effective.)

Brush it on (dunk a sweeping or handbrush) and wet the surface, then leave it to do its work for a bit.
:)

Reaction score
The best thing we have ever used is just a pressure washer. It is noisy, painful, messy work but it does get that dirt of, back to its natural shade.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Pressure washer is good but from some of Flopp's other threads I do know he lives where a pressure washer isn't really practical..

I'd go for the Jeyes or they do some great cleaning products in poundland and I'm sure I saw a multi purpose outdoor path cleaner in there the last time I was in there..Guess what it was only a ----- :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A friend suggested a pressure washer but V_R is correct, I'm 6 floors up on the top so couldn't use it for anything else except to clean the paving stones which will probably only need doing once a year. But thanks for the suggestions :thumb:

Poundland eh? Well, for a quid it's gotta be worth a go. The Jeyes stuff is about 7 quid.

And feckit: I've no idea if the Jeyes cleaner comes in different strengths, that's why I'm asking here ;)

When I'm next passing Poundland (there's one in Woolwich where I get me jiffy bags) I shall purchase some if they stock it.

And tc thanks for the bleach suggestion, I have a gallon container of domestos in the karzi, I may give that a whirl.

Reaction score
The Jeyes isn't as good anymore they changed it a while back yes you guessed it health and safety.

Reaction score
Well if pressure washer is out then my time at Homebase leads me to vote for Jeyes as well.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
A friend suggested a pressure washer but V_R is correct, I'm 6 floors up on the top
I didn't say nuffin. lol

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Algae grows via the sunlight, save your money and block the sun out. :nod:

Algae provides oxygen, is not dangerous, providing you don't eat it, spinach is better for you, eat that instead.

You could try the Algae Eater I have used them in the past.

:wave:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And feckit: I've no idea if the Jeyes cleaner comes in different strengths, that's why I'm asking here ;)
Sorry thought you had checked the stuff out already??
It does come in different strengths or it did do when i used it last!
And i think they used to do a patio cleaner version??
Not used Jeyes in a few years but it does shift stuff well.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
Sorry thought you had checked the stuff out already??
It does come in different strengths or it did do when i used it last!
And i think they used to do a patio cleaner version??
Not used Jeyes in a few years but it does shift stuff well.

Aha, I see the confusion. You thought I meant the standard Jeyes Fluid. Nope, not that, I was referring specifically to their patio cleaner which as far as I know comes in one flavour only.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=37983

Caustic Soda, cheap and cheerful but do heed the warnings and use with care. Scatter on and scrub gently , leave to do it's stuff, rinse of. Posts 14 and 17 are useful from the link above.
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have used caustic soda in the karzi before, it's powerful stuff.

Also handy for mass murderers wishing to dispose of body parts :thumb:

Didn't think of using that stuff.

But I want a lazy man's solution ideally, apply, forget :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
Is this info from personal expeirence?:rolleyes:

Of course. You have someone you wish to disappear? Contact me for super cut-price rates and if they're really nasty peeps I may even offer you my 2 for the price of 1 offer.

You know it makes sense :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Of course. You have someone you wish to disappear? Contact me for super cut-price rates and if they're really nasty peeps I may even offer you my 2 for the price of 1 offer.

You know it makes sense :)

Give us a quote for 369 really nasty peeps :D thinking about it they can't all be bad
nod.gif
make that 360 really nasty peeps
laughingsmiley.gif