Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Patients help fight lethal pancreatic cancer even after death Jun. 19, 2006
mail

Provided by: Canadian Press
mail
Written by: LAURAN NEERGAARD
mail

WASHINGTON (AP) - Pancreatic cancer killed William Schunk. Now scientists are using his body to fight back.

Within about an hour of his death, researchers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center began collecting the Omaha veteran's organs as part of a unique "rapid autopsy" program. The goal: To create a library of tissue that could finally point scientists to new ways to diagnose and treat this most lethal of cancers.

"It probably should be called 'rapid organ donation,"' says Dr. Aaron Sasson, a pancreatic cancer surgeon who volunteers his time to help perform the autopsies. "These patients are really donating their bodies and organs to science."

Organs in the chest and abdomen are meticulously photographed, sliced and flash-frozen before genetic evidence starts to degrade. So are samples of skin, muscle, nerves, lymph nodes, blood and urine.

This tissue - 16,000 samples collected from Schunk and 10 others so far - holds vital clues to what causes pancreatic cancer, and what makes it march so aggressively through the body.

A fast autopsy is the only way to get at those clues. Pancreatic cancer is grimly different from breast cancer, for example, where surgically removed tumours are plentiful for research that can lead to new treatments.

Pancreatic cancer seldom is discovered in time to even attempt surgery. Not only is that devastating news for patients, it means frustration in the quest to improve the disease's bleak outcome.

"There isn't any tissue available, ever, for the researchers to study," says cancer professor Michael A. Hollingsworth, who runs Nebraska's rapid-autopsy program. "It's filling a special niche, I think."

"Patients and their families are amazing, that they realize the importance of trying to do this," adds Christine Iacobuzio-Donahue, a pathologist at Baltimore's Johns Hopkins University, who runs a smaller rapid-autopsy program.

Some 33,700 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this year, and 32,300 will die. In Canada, it will kill an estimated 3,400 people and 3,500 new cases will be diagnosed.

There is no early-detection test; early symptoms are vague complaints like indigestion. By the time the classic jaundice, or yellowing skin, and itching appears, the cancer usually has spread. Once that happens, patients typically have only months left to live.

Lack of early diagnosis explains only part of pancreatic cancer's lethality. Overall, less than five per cent of patients live five years. But even when patients are caught early enough for the arduous surgery - removing parts of the pancreas, stomach, intestines and other organs - just 16 per cent will survive that long.

Rapid autopsies have been used in other diseases, such as Alzheimer's and prostate cancer. But the Nebraska and Hopkins programs are generating intense new interest - because they answer an urgent call from a 2001 National Cancer Institute review for tissue banks to help overcome a dearth of research into pancreatic cancer.

One of the biggest questions: Why do some patients die with huge pancreatic tumours while others have tiny ones that prove equally as lethal by seeding themselves throughout the body?

Nebraska's program is the most comprehensive, and most strict, requiring autopsy within two hours of death. Patients may die at home, or the program may pay for them to spend their final days in a hospice. An 18-member team of doctors, pathologists, medical students and scientists is on standby, ready to preserve not just cancer-riddled tissue but top-to-bottom samples that make up a library open to international researchers.

At Hopkins, Iacobuzio-Donahue has collected autopsy samples from 45 patients, but culls far fewer from each person, focusing more on the initial tumour and sites where it has spread. She will accept autopsies within six hours of death - and, unlike in Nebraska, arranges for out-of-state patients to have autopsies performed by their hometown pathologists, who then ship the samples to her Baltimore lab.

The autopsy costs families nothing and doesn't interfere with normal funeral arrangements. Still, recruiting participants is a balancing act. Doctors don't want to deprive patients of hope, and gently broach the program for those who accept that they're terminally ill.

Schunk, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel, had what Sasson calls a typical reaction. "He just said, 'If they can take anything that will help them identify a way to find this sooner, then I am 100 per cent for it,"' recalls his daughter, Karen Sater.

Ardith Hopp of Unadilla, Neb., didn't wait to be asked. Her cancer was caught early enough for Sasson to operate in 2001, and she still feels good despite battling back a recurrence a year ago. But not knowing she'd fare so well, she signed up for the program shortly after surgery, a decision she hasn't second-guessed.

"I'm not afraid of dying. It's going to happen to everybody," says Hopp, 62. "If there's something there they can use, I'm not going to need it anymore."

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
nice find Quad ... thanks

... I'm not going to need it anymore.
And if they can re-use some bits that can still work for others, sign up now.

;)

Reaction score
This is definitely a good thing. My friends mum recently died of this, and it seems like one of the most horrific of the cancers (not that any are good!!). I think the survival rate is almost 0.

WOO!!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
My father was also diagnosed with the same thing back in 1999 and it was just few weeks after diagnosis that he passed away.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I'm so sorry quads :(

Just reading about it... Any cancer in a loved one is a horrific blow beyond describing. But such mild symptoms for such an aggresive cancer is terrifying. I am 38 years old now & really ought to know better, but it still appalls me when such horrific things happen to such nice people.

Hugs

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I didn't realise pancreatic cancer was so aggressive with so little warning and little chance of survival - lets hope this donor scheme leads to a cure or at least a way to prolong life.

Sorry about your Dad Quad :(

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Thank Ady, appreciate your input.

My father was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer on July 15 and he passed away on August 30 so in fact it was just 45 days.

I had found out at that time that usually pancreatic cancer is dignosed when it is too late to do anything and the condition of the person deteriorates very quickly. It is also a very painful type of cancer compared to others. Throwing up food and excruciating pain in the stomach. It was a very difficult time for our family. The most unusual thing that happened on the day he passed away was that he asked my wife to bring the kids down to meet him at around 3 PM and bid farewell to them. At 6 PM he passed away. I was not at home at that time even though my wife tried to convince me to come home at around 4 PM. She had sensed it but was not in a position to say it clearly to me on the phone. I do not blame her. I reached home from office 10 minutes after he passed away.

Even having a doctor in the house does not help (my wife is a doctor) in diagnosing it any quicker.

In case of my son the scenario was different and my wife was very quick to diagnosse it with the symptoms my son had (he is insulin dependent diabetic since he was 8 years old). We reached the hospital in time to get him admitted in the Intensive care unit. His blodd sugar at that time was 460! It been almost 8 years now and we are managing his routine of a combination of diet, insulin and excercise. Some say that diabeties is the most difficult personal management thing that a person has to deal with.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
So Brave

A very brave thread to post Quads...sorry also ..
Lets hope new treatment comes from the analysis..The Scientists involved are all extremely noble people and so are the families of the victims .

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
In case of my son the scenario was different and my wife was very quick to diagnosse it with the symptoms my son had (he is insulin dependent diabetic since he was 8 years old). We reached the hospital in time to get him admitted in the Intensive care unit. His blodd sugar at that time was 460! It been almost 8 years now and we are managing his routine of a combination of diet, insulin and excercise. Some say that diabeties is the most difficult personal management thing that a person has to deal with.

Yes, My Nana was diabetic, although not insulin dependant fortunately. She had to constantly monitor everything she ate & her own physical condition also. In the end she was killed because the person who usually cut her toenails was away & a student was sent to fill in. Although she was overweight at the time she was nevertheless extreemly disciplined about watching her condition & so was very healthy for her age. It was hard not to be angry that such a stupid little thing could kill her & in such a horrible way. I still believe that they should never have sent an unsupervised student to do such a potentialy lethal thing.

Ask a Question