New WCG Project (01.11.2007) - Help Conquer Cancer

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
A new project has just launched over at WCG - Help Conquer Cancer :cool:

This is the one many have been waiting for - you will automatically be included unless you opt out.

Welcome to the Help Conquer Cancer Project, and thank you for participating in this important research. The mission of our project is to improve the results of protein X-Ray crystallography, which helps researchers not only annotate unknown parts of the human proteome, but importantly, improves their understanding of cancer initiation, progression and treatment. Although our focus is cancer, results from this project will help other diseases as well.
Analyzing the results from this experiment will also lead to better understanding the underlying principles of protein crystallography. For the first time, a comprehensive crystallography image analysis will be done, which was impossible before due to computational complexity. In turn, CrystalVision will be improved to provide faster and more accurate image classification. This will lead to more protein structures being determined. In addition, determining more 3D structures of proteins will also lead to improved in silico structure prediction.
Thank you again for making vital contribution to the project. It is highly appreciated, as it would take us over 162 years on the largest computer available to us to finish this computation. Although, we expect to finish the project in about 1-2 years on the World Community Grid, we will start analyzing the data incrementally. We will keep you informed about our results at http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~juris/WCG/wcg-hcc.html.
Thank you
Help Conquer Cancer Project Team

System requirements seem pretty low too, so shouldn't be a problem for anyone:

For Help Conquer Cancer, the minimum requirements are:

1. At least 250 MB RAM (with virtual memory enabled)
2. 200 MB Hard Disk Drive with at least 50 MB available for use
3. The ability to display 8-bit graphics at 800x600 resolution
4. An Internet connection with minimum 40kpbs speed
5. Operating System: Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, or Vista

user.gif

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Just seen one of these tasks been downloaded this morning. I was dissappointed to learn after I joined crunching that Help Defeat Cancer had finished - I had read many conversations about the project on the forums - but now there's this to help with! Seems that these tasks will take LONG though - my PC crunches most Discover Dengue Drugs tasks in ~2.5 hours, Human Proteome Folding tasks take ~11 hours, and these Help Conquer Cancer tasks are predicted to take NINETEEN hours!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent, this sounds like a great WCG project :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up Ady :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
.........Seems that these tasks will take LONG though - my PC crunches most Discover Dengue Drugs tasks in ~2.5 hours, Human Proteome Folding tasks take ~11 hours, and these Help Conquer Cancer tasks are predicted to take NINETEEN hours!
That is just an early Boinc estimate - and seems as if its way out.

Others elsewhere have reported it was estimating 7-8 hours on a Quad @3.5GHz, but the first one only took 2.48 hours in reality :thumb:

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
In the end one task took 6 hours, on my 3.4GHz P4.

Adywebb said:
That is just an early Boinc estimate - and seems as if its way out.

I'll bear that in mind for the future I didn't realise they could be so far out!

Ask a Question