Brain Tumor Vaccine Trial Shows Promising Results

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
A vaccine for treating a recurrent cancer of the central nervous system that occurs primarily in the brain has shown promise in preliminary data from a clinical trial at the University of California, San Francisco.

Known as a glioma, this cancerous tumor is always fatal. Findings from a group of 12 study patients showed that vitespen vaccination (trademarked as Oncophage) was effective in stimulating the patient's immune system to attack the tumor cells, a function that is known medically as tumor-specific immune response. All the patients had recurrent, high-grade glioma, and all showed the immune response. The vaccine is made from the patient's own tumor.
I find that last sentence very interesting.

Cheryl Canagelo, a 52-year-old woman from Oakley, Calif., came to UCSF for a second opinion after undergoing radiation and chemotherapy elsewhere for treatment of a glioma. At UCSF she learned that part of the tumor was still present, and she enrolled in the vitespen vaccine trial.

Once the chemotherapy was out of her system, Parsa performed surgery, just four days before Christmas. He removed all but a very small amount of tumor that was near an area that could affect her speech. The removed tissue was sent to Antigenics, the Massachusetts biotech company that produces the vaccine from the patient's tumor tissue. Altogether, Canagelo has now received seven injections of vaccine.

"My most recent MRI showed that there is no tumor," Canagelo said. "I haven't had any side effects from the treatment, and I'm getting stronger every day. I would urge patients to seek out second opinions and investigate clinical trials. I can tell you I am so glad I did."
I do hope she wins the fight.

Full Story Here

:user:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
The Human bodies resillience and ability to adapt will prove highly advantagious in any perspective cure in the future for fatal diseases ...Time will prove this to be correct . :thumb:

Ask a Question