PATA to SATA help?

Reaction score
I've had a good old seagate 120gb PATA (IDE) hard drive that I have used for a good 3 or 4 years now...and just recently I picked up a 80gb SATA seagate hard drive.

It is a Seagate 80GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA3G

I have a K8T Neo2 Motherboard, it does have sata connectors in it.

Now my question is, my friend got windows XP installed on the sata drive, and he was able to connect it to his computer and it would start up fine. Me on the other hand if I totally disconnect my old hard drive and try to just load up with my sata one connect it doesn't allow it...and after awhile of trying to boot it comes up with some gigabet ethernet connection thingy blah blah blah

Guess I'm wondering what is the best way to be able to change my main hard drive over to the Sata one. I want to be able to keep my old hard drive with all the files, but have it NOT plugged into my computer...I want the sata one to be able to boot up and I want to use that one.

So...any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Oh, was also going to say that If I have my old PATA hard drive plugged in, Windows will load up that one and have all my files and such on it, and I am able to go into My Computer and look at my E: Drive (Which is my 80gb SATA) and all it has is windows installed on it etc etc...I am also able to copy/paste files/folders over if I want to. So I know the hard drive is working...

Also...if I go into bios I am not able to select it under the boot order...or any of that. If I go to the IDE connectors or whatever it won't even come up. I'm not really sure :x

Reaction score
Your SATA drive needs to have an operating system installed on it for it to boot up. (I see it does)

If you enter BIOS is the SATA ATA option selected not SATA RAID?

Cant remember if you mentioned a board (yes you did) make but the above instruction is based on Gigabyte BIOS

Make sure as I say SATA ATA is allowed then try changing boot prioritys

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Bios I use is Phoenix BIOS...like phoenix advanced? Umm...I don't notice anything that says something about SATA ATA Allow? It seems that anything SATA involved I have enabled...but if I still go into the boot priority I have CD ROM as #1, Hard Drive as #2, and Floppy as #3...there isn't any "SATA" option...

It wouldn't be too bad, but I know SATA > PATA so If I just have a random SATA but I'm using my PATA then the SATA won't be able to run as fast as it could. SO I want to use the SATA because overall it is much better...plus I think my old PATA is getting too old and running really slow...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Your board only has SATA 150 ad the drive you have is SATA 300 so you may need to set the jumper on the drive accordingly .
Found this on a review site so you might be able to use the info to help track down your prob .

The VT8237 South Bridge handles most of the board's I/O functions, which include IDE, SATA, sound and USB. Located to the right of the chipset are a couple of SATA connections which support single disks, RAID-0 and RAID-1, but cannot be disabled in the BIOS. Why would you want to disable them? Well, if you do not have any SATA drives, the VIA VT8237 adds, on average, five seconds to your boot time. This chipset unfortunently does not offer native SATA, which means you will need to press F6 during a Windows install if you're planning to use a SATA drive.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Yeah, I was reading someplace that when it is loading up the XP install cd it comes up with like a press f6 if you want to install third party RAID drivers or whatever...and that you need to make a CD with a ISO file on it or whatever with the drivers or something like that?

But I guess I"m just wondering if there is an easier way to do it so I don't need to totally reinstalled everything, and get all these CDs with drivers and such on it just to let it start up from my SATA hard drive instead of my IDE one?

BTW, in my BIOS the only SATA related thing I could find was...

SATA Mode - IDE or RAID, and I have RAID selected

Onchip SATA - Enabled or Disabled, and I have it Enabled.

Reaction score
OK now u getting somewhere

Leave Onchip SATA on

Change it to IDE

Your IDE drive may still try to boot up if it doesnt find teh SATA drive first

Reaction score
Just re attached all my old stuff and did the my old bios to get on and say!

Woohoo!!!! Thanks TriplexDread ^^ Changing it from RAID to IDE and then I unplugged my pata harddrive, and there we go! The sata one loaded up! Well, time to go get back on that to install all the drivers I need. Just thought I'd get on to say thanks :)

Great Help from both of you guys, Triple & Abarbarian! I really appreciate it, and I know others do too! :)

Thanks soooo much! :)

Ask a Question