Paste Append into Access 2007 from Excel 2007

ios151

Every day, I edit an Excel spreadsheet and then paste append it into a table
in Access which is then used for reporting. Before I do the paste append, I
select all records in the table and then delete them, so when I do the paste
append, the table starts out empty. Today for the first time ever, I cannot
get this to work. Each time I try to do the paste append, I get the
following error: "The data on the Clipboard is damaged, so VibeReporting
can't paste it." (VibeReporting is the name of my Access database). I have
re-booted completely and am still having the same result. I have viewed the
clipboard in both Excel and Access and done a "clear all" in both. I have
run "compact and repair" in Access twice, and run Office diagnostics with
nothing found. I have not installed any new software recently, but I do
notice that in my Windows updates, there were update to Office last night
(12/10/08). Any ideas of what I can try?

M Skabialka

What happens if you copy the data in Excel, then open a new workbook and do
a paste special - values only?
Or paste it into Word and look at the data.
Or import into a new table in Access from Excel ?
Or do a few rows at a time to try to find the suspect record(s)?

ios151

I have no problems copying and pasting it between Excel and Word, either with
a regular paste or a paste special-values. I think you might be on to
something, though, as I'm having some success taking it then from Word into
Access. I'll update shortly. Thanks.

Dean O.

I'm having the exact same problem. It's caused by the recent Excel security
update (KB958437). I don't know how to fix it while having this update
applied. A workaround for me was removing the KB958437 update.

I'm trying to contact MSFT to find out if they will fix this update.

ios151

Thank you. Uninstalling that update did the job for me also. If you
remember, please update this thread with your findings from MSFT. I will
also try to contact them.

timdotnet

Thank you.  Uninstalling that update did the job for me also.  If you
remember, please update this thread with your findings from MSFT.  I will
also try to contact them.

I'm having exactly the same issue but run into an error trying to
uninstall security update KB958437. I get a message saying there was
an error uninstalling & Vista asks me if I want it to remove the
update from the list of installed updates. Since this udpate i also
installed office 2007 SP1 & Windows Vista SP1 (trying to fix this
issue,) and wonder if this is related. Anyone else having issues like
this?

ios151

I did get a reply back from Microsoft indicating that they are aware of the
issue and are working on it. So I assume that there will be a fix for it at
some time.

Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

"Dean O." wrote:

> I'm having the exact same problem. It's caused by the recent Excel security
> update (KB958437). I don't know how to fix it while having this update
> applied. A workaround for me was removing the KB958437 update.
>
> I'm trying to contact MSFT to find out if they will fix this update.
>

> "ios151" wrote:
>
> > Every day, I edit an Excel spreadsheet and then paste append it into a table
> > in Access which is then used for reporting. Before I do the paste append, I
> > select all records in the table and then delete them, so when I do the paste
> > append, the table starts out empty. Today for the first time ever, I cannot
> > get this to work. Each time I try to do the paste append, I get the
> > following error: "The data on the Clipboard is damaged, so VibeReporting
> > can't paste it." (VibeReporting is the name of my Access database). I have
> > re-booted completely and am still having the same result. I have viewed the
> > clipboard in both Excel and Access and done a "clear all" in both. I have
> > run "compact and repair" in Access twice, and run Office diagnostics with
> > nothing found. I have not installed any new software recently, but I do
> > notice that in my Windows updates, there were update to Office last night
> > (12/10/08). Any ideas of what I can try?
I was able to work around this problem by opening the clipboard display - in the home tab, click on the bottom right corner of the clipboard section to display the clipboard. Select your destination cells and click on the clipboard object that you just copied from. For me this creates a bunch of records that say "Deleted" but when I change records and change back, the data is all there. This way I am able to keep the security update in place.

This was on Vista and office 2007

Mary

Another workaround is to paste the data into a Word table, then paste copy it
from Word to Access. I tried this and it worked.

eat more bacon

This issue seems to have cropped up again this morning. Is there a new
update that might be causing it? I solved the problem a couple weeks back
by removing the prior update as per this thread.

i checked to see if Windows might have added it again, but when clicking on
that update in "Installed Updates", it says "The installation source is not
available...."
(Not sure why it is still showing in installed updates, but that is another
issue).

Also, I was trying to follow the instruction in the dashed lines below to
ensure no repeat of the issue, but the steps don't make sense to me. There
is no "Programs" option in Control Panel. If I use the "Windows Update"
selection, there is no "View Installed Updates" option or "Hide" option that
I can find.

csuttman said:
Removing that update worked for me like a charm!

If anybody wants to prevent it from re-appearing daily again through auto
updates, here's how:

Delete the update (KB958437) from your machine (VISTA: control panel >
programs > view installed updates)

Go to the windows update site

Check for updates

Right click on the update and choose “hide†(this should prevent it from
updating until unhidden by you)

I'm having the exact same problem. It's caused by the recent Excel security
update (KB958437). I don't know how to fix it while having this update
applied. A workaround for me was removing the KB958437 update.

I'm trying to contact MSFT to find out if they will fix this update.
Every day, I edit an Excel spreadsheet and then paste append it into a table
in Access which is then used for reporting. Before I do the paste append, I
[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
notice that in my Windows updates, there were update to Office last night
(12/10/08). Any ideas of what I can try?

FMS Development Team

Dean said:
I'm having the exact same problem.  It's caused by the recent Excel security
update (KB958437).  I don't know how to fix it while having this update
applied.  A workaround for me was removing the KB958437 update.
I'm trying to contact MSFT to find out if they will fix this update.
Every day, I edit an Excel spreadsheet and then paste append it intoa table
in Access which is then used for reporting.  Before I do the pasteappend, I
[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
notice that in my Windows updates, there were update to Office last night
(12/10/08).  Any ideas of what I can try?- Hide quoted text -

Here's an article I wrote a few weeks ago that offers three
workarounds for this problem. Hope it helps:
http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Errors/ExcelPaste/Clipboard.html

Good luck.

Luke Chung
FMS, Inc.
http://www.fmsinc.com

Roberta

I looked in my installed programs and they are a few MS Office updates but
none of them is the KB958437, so is there anything else I could check to fix
Paste Append from Excel to Access?