want my computer back!

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 Highlight the username you
want logged on automatically, then uncheck Users must enter a username and
password............ click Apply and in the next dialog enter the password
for that account, if any.

G

Thanks for your help, but the recommended procedure created another set of problems. I realize you are donating your time and I appreciate it

If you are interested in this area, I outline the situation here - my inquiry and your advice are as follows
on my computer, walk away and return to a fully booted
desktop? It used to do it - and then one of the updates
integrated the welcome screen. When I turn off the
welcome screen I still get a log in window, just looks
different and as equally annoying
My computer refuses to remember passwords as if I am on a
network. I have several outlook mail accounts. I have
to manually type in all passwords every time I log in -
want my computer back
the username you want logged on automatically, then uncheck Users must enter a username and password............ click Apply and in the next dialog enter the password for that account, if any.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

FYI

I followed your instructions and found a checked "must enter a user name" box and unchecked it. After hitting apply, I then received a message requesting I enter password information as administrator (but not my user name - this made no sense as there was no password to begin with and I am attempting to turn OFF the switch requiring it). So I tabbed through not entering any information

When booting, rather than system skipping the welcome screen and the log on screen as I wanted, I got the windows log on screen anyway and a message saying "unable to log in due to account restriction".

The resolution of that was to boot in safe mode and restore to an earlier date. It took HP support about an hour and half to help me to that point

I have now restored my system and I am able to bypass both screens but only after I deleted a system account that a Microsoft update installed

However, my Outlook and Explorer will still not remember passwords except for one only listed in manage passwords area: Microsoft passport.net

I find articles on Outlook Express with this problem and with installations of Outlook 2000 and Internet Only Mail configuration but nothing specific to full version of Outlook 2002 running on XP (via Office XP)

Any clues

How do I easily get back to check this inquiry without scrolling through a whole day of messages

Thanks

Ask a Question