Password Retention Problem...

G

I am webmaster for about 200 sites; my firm has upgraded some of our web servers to Win 2003 from 2000. The new 2003 server-based sites no longer "remember" the passwords, even when I use the "Remember my password" button. The 2000 server sites do not have this problem. I was under the (mistaken) impression that password storage was a client-side function. Having to look up passwords is time-consuming. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a work-around? I use WinXP SP2 and FP 2003. Thanks in advance.

N

Net55

Don't see anything in the knowledge base about this, did
find this:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=264672
-----Original Message-----
I am webmaster for about 200 sites; my firm has upgraded
some of our web servers to Win 2003 from 2000. The new
2003 server-based sites no longer "remember" the
passwords, even when I use the "Remember my password"
button. The 2000 server sites do not have this problem. I
was under the (mistaken) impression that password storage
was a client-side function. Having to look up passwords is
time-consuming. Does anyone else have this problem? Is
there a work-around? I use WinXP SP2 and FP 2003. Thanks
in advance.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Passwords used by FP are "stored" using IE
In IE use Tools > Internet Options > Security
Click on 'Trusted' and on 'Custom Level'
Make sure the selection at the bottom is set to:
'Automatic logon with current username and password' and click OK
Click on 'Sites' and add your site URL in the 'Add this Web Site to the Zone', and OK, OK
- note: you may have to unselect the option: Require server verification (https)... to add your site

--

| I am webmaster for about 200 sites; my firm has upgraded some of our web servers to Win 2003 from 2000. The new 2003 server-based
sites no longer "remember" the passwords, even when I use the "Remember my password" button. The 2000 server sites do not have this
problem. I was under the (mistaken) impression that password storage was a client-side function. Having to look up passwords is
time-consuming. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a work-around? I use WinXP SP2 and FP 2003. Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question