Password Protection For Part of Web - Q301554

Dick

I am having trouble trying to follow Q301554 in making one page of my
web password protected. I think my main problem is that I have never
created a sub-web, and I don't understand how they work.

It asks to convert a folder to a web, then publish it. How does this
appear on the server? The folder name? Then it says to open the
subweb. That's where I really get lost. Is this sub-web a separate
web on the server? How do I open a sub-web? Could really use some
guidance.

Stefan B Rusynko

A subweb to FP is a unique web, which can be managed (permissions and publishing) independent of the root web
- to the rest of the world when you publish it a subweb it just looks like a folder
- but it is a folder treated as a web by FP that you can open in FP online
Some host allow you to access to subwebs directly, others only allow it from the root web

If you follow the example in KB 301554
1) First create a folder under your root web (top level folder) - say : members
- then move your pages and related files to be protected into it (if they exist) before you convert it to a subweb (convert to web)
2) Next publish your Root web (to say http://www.yourdomainname.com/) w/ the option to include subwebs turned on
- alternatively double click the new subweb folder (members) and FP will open it as a web you can edit/ publish independently (but
publish it to a subweb location as in http://www.yourdomainname.com/members/ - not to your root web!)
3) Close your local FP Site
5) Now open your online root web in FP using File Open Site http://www.yourdomainname.com/ and then open the subweb in FP by double
clicking on the subweb folder (members) in the root web,
or open your new subweb in FP using File Open Site http://www.yourdomainname.com/members/
6) In the subweb set the unique permissions per the KB article

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message |I am having trouble trying to follow Q301554 in making one page of my
| web password protected. I think my main problem is that I have never
| created a sub-web, and I don't understand how they work.
|
| It asks to convert a folder to a web, then publish it. How does this
| appear on the server? The folder name? Then it says to open the
| subweb. That's where I really get lost. Is this sub-web a separate
| web on the server? How do I open a sub-web? Could really use some
| guidance.

Dick

When I get to the change permissions step, I add a user name and
password. I used "private" for a user name. Then I click on apply.
I get an error message, "Server error: error removing one or more
users: the following user names do not exist: 'private'." Why is FP
trying to remove a user name that I am trying to set up?

Stefan B Rusynko

1) Check w/ you host and make sure they allow unique permissions
2) try another username

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message | When I get to the change permissions step, I add a user name and
| password. I used "private" for a user name. Then I click on apply.
| I get an error message, "Server error: error removing one or more
| users: the following user names do not exist: 'private'." Why is FP
| trying to remove a user name that I am trying to set up?
|

| On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 05:54:01 -0500, "Stefan B Rusynko"
|
| >A subweb to FP is a unique web, which can be managed (permissions and publishing) independent of the root web
| >- to the rest of the world when you publish it a subweb it just looks like a folder
| >- but it is a folder treated as a web by FP that you can open in FP online
| >Some host allow you to access to subwebs directly, others only allow it from the root web
| >
| >If you follow the example in KB 301554
| >1) First create a folder under your root web (top level folder) - say : members
| >- then move your pages and related files to be protected into it (if they exist) before you convert it to a subweb (convert to
web)
| >2) Next publish your Root web (to say http://www.yourdomainname.com/) w/ the option to include subwebs turned on
| >- alternatively double click the new subweb folder (members) and FP will open it as a web you can edit/ publish independently
(but
| >publish it to a subweb location as in http://www.yourdomainname.com/members/ - not to your root web!)
| >3) Close your local FP Site
| >5) Now open your online root web in FP using File Open Site http://www.yourdomainname.com/ and then open the subweb in FP by
double
| >clicking on the subweb folder (members) in the root web,
| >or open your new subweb in FP using File Open Site http://www.yourdomainname.com/members/
| >6) In the subweb set the unique permissions per the KB article

Dick

I found the answer to the problem. It may be useful to others.
Article 305123 describes this exact problem when the host uses an
Apache server when you use FP2000, and the host runs FP2002 Server
Extensions. You have to first add the user as an author, then demote
the user back to browse only. I didn't know if my host had an Apache
server, but the fix works.

Dick