Password problem with Vista

Will

I have Office XP and I prefer Outlook for my email. The problem is with
Vista I cant get Outlook to remember my passwords no matter how many boxes I
tick to remember password. Any ideas ?

Roady [MVP]

Have you applied all Office updates?
What kind of accounts are you using?
How many accounts do you have configured? Are they using all the same POP3
server?

Note that Office XP isn't officially supported on Windows Vista, only
Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.

ironside431

I'm having the same problem too -- Office XP and Vista Business. I
did install all the updates (SP3 and ten or so updates released since
SP3) but it still didn't work. I then uninstalled Office XP and
installed a trial version of Office 2007 Standard edition -- the
password problems all ceased. Did not know that Office was not
officially supported by Vista.

These were all with POP3 accounts -- two had the same server, the
other three accounts had different servers. Regards, Clive

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----"Will said:
I have Office XP and I prefer Outlook for my email. The problem is with
Vista I cant get Outlook to remember my passwords no matter how many boxes
I tick to rememberpassword. Any ideas ?

Will

All office updates applied. There are 4 email accounts all using the same
POP3 server.

-----

ironside431 said:
I'm having the same problem too -- Office XP and Vista Business. I
did install all the updates (SP3 and ten or so updates released since
SP3) but it still didn't work. I then uninstalled Office XP and
installed a trial version of Office 2007 Standard edition -- the
password problems all ceased. Did not know that Office was not
officially supported by Vista.

These were all with POP3 accounts -- two had the same server, the
other three accounts had different servers. Regards, Clive

Well I am not going to pay more money on top of Vista. I guess its time I
considered dumping all of MS products and going open source

ironside431

Well I am not going to pay more money on top of Vista. I guess its time I
considered dumping all of MS products and going open source

Hi Will -- I understand your frustration. I'm not too keen on paying
more $$ for another product. OpenOffice.org is an excellent Office-
like program -- it's free. Also, try Thunderbird for an email
client. It's available from those wonderful folks at mozilla.org (the
Firefox people!). Take care -- Clive

I have the same problem and I'm about done with Microsoft products. Bad
enough I can't buy a new computer without it. Now my programs that I have
paid hard earned money for won't work on my new computer. Surely Microsoft
has a FIX for this problem.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
Will said:
I have Office XP and I prefer Outlook for my email. The problem is with
Vista I cant get Outlook to remember my passwords no matter how many boxes
I tick to remember password. Any ideas ?

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Then you are lucky you are not an Apple user. Same problems a few years back when they went to OS X.xxx. Lots of programs didn't work anymore and the vendors did not update them.

Get used to it. You expect programs to work forever on brand new hardware and software? How about that 16 bit program that worked perfectly under Windows 3.1 but stopped working in Windows 2000? Bet that ticked you off too!

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Bill asked:

Milly Staples said:
Then you are lucky you are not an Apple user. Same problems a few years back when they went to OS X.xxx. Lots of programs didn't work anymore and the vendors did not update them.

Get used to it. You expect programs to work forever on brand new hardware and software? How about that 16 bit program that worked perfectly under Windows 3.1 but stopped working in Windows 2000? Bet that ticked you off too!

--Â
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Bill asked:

| I have the same problem and I'm about done with Microsoft products.
| Bad enough I can't buy a new computer without it. Now my programs
| that I have paid hard earned money for won't work on my new computer.
| Surely Microsoft has a FIX for this problem.
|
| "Will" wrote:
|
|| All office updates applied. There are 4 email accounts all using the
|| same POP3 server.
||| What kind of accounts are you using?
||| How many accounts do you have configured? Are they using all the
||| same POP3 server?
||| Note that Office XP isn't officially supported on Windows Vista,
||| only Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.
||| --
||| Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
||| Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
||| http://www.howto-outlook.com/
||| Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
||| -----

Uh, I was "speechless".

Really now Millie, wouldn't it have been a little more "professional" for
Microsoft to advise us *before* we upgraded that Office XP wouldn't work?

Thats just WRONG on so many levels! You guys are picking the pockets of
those who support you in the first place!

I didn't "lease" Office XP for three years. I bought it because it was
compatible with the OS on my new machine. Big Bucks! I guess I must have
missed the "disclaimer".

There's gotta be something we can do at a grassroots level. How's "Class
Action" sound? I'm ready...

Terry said:
Milly Staples said:
Then you are lucky you are not an Apple user. Same problems a few years back when they went to OS X.xxx. Lots of programs didn't work anymore and the vendors did not update them.

Get used to it. You expect programs to work forever on brand new hardware and software? How about that 16 bit program that worked perfectly under Windows 3.1 but stopped working in Windows 2000? Bet that ticked you off too!

--Â
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Bill asked:

| I have the same problem and I'm about done with Microsoft products.
| Bad enough I can't buy a new computer without it. Now my programs
| that I have paid hard earned money for won't work on my new computer.
| Surely Microsoft has a FIX for this problem.
|
| "Will" wrote:
|
|| All office updates applied. There are 4 email accounts all using the
|| same POP3 server.
||| What kind of accounts are you using?
||| How many accounts do you have configured? Are they using all the
||| same POP3 server?
||| Note that Office XP isn't officially supported on Windows Vista,
||| only Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.
||| --
||| Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
||| Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
||| http://www.howto-outlook.com/
||| Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
||| -----

Milly,,,, First off sorry for being such a jerk and being so insensative
about microsoft and XP programs not working on Vista. I didn't figure that a
program written for Windows XP not 98, 95, 3.11 but XP would be so hard for
Microripoff to make a patch for. As a matter of fact the program does work
on Vista but just needs a few minor fixes. Fact is that we are talking about
going from XP to Vista not 95 to Vista so take your sarcasm and shove it
straight up your A** how's that feel now? I'm not bitchin about programs
that run on 3.11 and now will not run on Vista. We are talking about the last
OS from Microsoft to the new one. It should all be backward comp. Next time
you want to act like a child go do it with somebody that cares...

Terry said:
Milly Staples said:
Then you are lucky you are not an Apple user. Same problems a few years back when they went to OS X.xxx. Lots of programs didn't work anymore and the vendors did not update them.

Get used to it. You expect programs to work forever on brand new hardware and software? How about that 16 bit program that worked perfectly under Windows 3.1 but stopped working in Windows 2000? Bet that ticked you off too!

--Â
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Bill asked:

| I have the same problem and I'm about done with Microsoft products.
| Bad enough I can't buy a new computer without it. Now my programs
| that I have paid hard earned money for won't work on my new computer.
| Surely Microsoft has a FIX for this problem.
|
| "Will" wrote:
|
|| All office updates applied. There are 4 email accounts all using the
|| same POP3 server.
||| What kind of accounts are you using?
||| How many accounts do you have configured? Are they using all the
||| same POP3 server?
||| Note that Office XP isn't officially supported on Windows Vista,
||| only Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007.
||| --
||| Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
||| Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
||| http://www.howto-outlook.com/
||| Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
||| -----

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Me?? A Child???? After this?????
"..take your sarcasm and shove it straight up your A** how's that feel now?"

Guess when I grow up I should strive to be an adult just like you, eh? Pfffft.

What about "end of mainstream support in June 2006" don't you understand? Seems the child is the parent to the adult here.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Bill asked:

| Milly,,,, First off sorry for being such a jerk and being so
| insensative about microsoft and XP programs not working on Vista. I
| didn't figure that a program written for Windows XP not 98, 95, 3.11
| but XP would be so hard for Microripoff to make a patch for. As a
| matter of fact the program does work on Vista but just needs a few
| minor fixes. Fact is that we are talking about going from XP to
| Vista not 95 to Vista so take your sarcasm and shove it straight up
| your A** how's that feel now? I'm not bitchin about programs that
| run on 3.11 and now will not run on Vista. We are talking about the
| last OS from Microsoft to the new one. It should all be backward
| comp. Next time you want to act like a child go do it with somebody
| that cares...
|
| "Terry" wrote:
|
|| Uh, I was "speechless".
|| Really now Millie, wouldn't it have been a little more
|| "professional" for Microsoft to advise us *before* we upgraded that
|| Office XP wouldn't work?
|| Thats just WRONG on so many levels! You guys are picking the
|| pockets of those who support you in the first place!
|| I didn't "lease" Office XP for three years. I bought it because it
|| was compatible with the OS on my new machine. Big Bucks! I guess I
|| must have missed the "disclaimer".
|| There's gotta be something we can do at a grassroots level. How's
|| "Class Action" sound? I'm ready...

Have we discovered a fix yet?
I have Office 2007 & Microsoft Vista. All updates are installed and the
computer was working fine until a few days ago when it decided to send some
of my emails and not the rest. Now it prompts me for the password way too
often. Sometimes 5 back to back. I have noticed also that it will pile up
sending and receiving duplicates when you view the details of the send and
receive window. Any suggestions??
I just purchased this computer less than 1 month ago. Haven't added
anything to it that was out of the ordinary...

Me?? A Child???? After this?????