password crash in excel

After saving an excel spreadsheet I decided that I needed to add a password
to protect it. I went through 2 different ways of adding one to it and after
the file was saved I went to re-open it and the file crashed once the
password was entered and I lost everything I did. Is there a way to protect
it without crashing ?

Jim Cone

I doubt if password protecting an Excel file would cause it to crash.
Chances are it would have crashed anyway.
You provide no real information in your post, so do not expect much help.
For posting tips see ... http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"kmb0702" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
After saving an excel spreadsheet I decided that I needed to add a password
to protect it. I went through 2 different ways of adding one to it and after
the file was saved I went to re-open it and the file crashed once the
password was entered and I lost everything I did. Is there a way to protect
it without crashing ?

All I can say that is that spreadsheet worked fine until the password was
added. If I knew more about codes and stuff maybe I could provide them but
all the spreadsheet is doing is keeping track of time and costs. Thanks for
the input.

Gord Dibben

You say you went through two different ways of adding a password to the file.

Could you please post the two methods you used to set a password to open?

But......I'm with Jim......I don't think adding a password would crash you file.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

First I went through tools>options>security>password to opem:

Second was File>Save As>Tools>General Options>Password to open:

Gord Dibben

Only one of those would be necessary, but there should be no conflict by setting
at both spots.

Unless you actually chose some sort of Encryption mode from
Tools>Options>Security but I don't know what type of problem that could cause.

Sorry I can offer no assistance further than guessing as I have done to now.

Gord