Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain Member

Scott Townsend

I have a Vista Ultimate install that is part of a AD Domain.

The users that login are AD Domain users. I would like to set up Parental
Controls for certain users.

How can I do this?

Thank you,
Scott<-

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Scott,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on my research, Parental Controls feature is included in Windows
Vista Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate. The Parental Controls panel,
part of the User Accounts and Family Safety Control Panel applet,
centralizes all of the key settings of the Windows Vista Parental Controls.
Parental Controls does not work on domain-joined machines, such as in a
business environment. This is by design. Therefore, we cannot see the UI
controls on a Windows Vista which has joined domain.

More information, please refer to:
Parental Controls
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/pare
ntalcontrols.mspx

I do understand your concerns. From my point of view, I understand your
feeling and how frustrated when you find that our product cannot meet your
needs. So, it is my pleasure to help you to reflect your recommendation to
the proper department for their consideration.

In addition, please feel free to submit your suggestion on our product to
the following link. Our Product Group reviews the suggestions submitted by
our customers. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and
increase the level of service provided.

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&
ws=search

If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Scott Townsend" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain Member
| Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:36:52 -0700
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

| I have a Vista Ultimate install that is part of a AD Domain.
|
| The users that login are AD Domain users. I would like to set up Parental
| Controls for certain users.
|
| How can I do this?
|
| Thank you,
| Scott<-

Scott Townsend

The the big talk we head at a TechNet Event about how IT can Monitor the use
of machines running Vista and Control the Content that they are able to see
and other Monitoring in that regard was for the Stay at Home IT person who
has a few Home Installs of Vista?

Guess I was the wrong target audience in the Tech Net Class.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
[...]

rights.

--------------------
| From: "Scott Townsend" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain Member
| Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:36:52 -0700
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

| I have a Vista Ultimate install that is part of a AD Domain.
|
| The users that login are AD Domain users. I would like to set up
Parental
| Controls for certain users.
|
| How can I do this?
|
| Thank you,
| Scott<-

Scott Townsend

I did find this:
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/08/01/444385.aspx

Though this only seems to work for Local User Accounts, not domain accounts.

We have a few of the Owners that have home machine. They are attached to the
Corp Network and are joined to the domain. They allow their Kids to use the
machines for homework and the like. They all have email accounts on the
Exchange Server, so they are all AD User Accounts. We wanted to have the
Parental Controls on those Accounts.

Thanks,
Scott<-

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Scott,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on my research, Parental Controls feature is included in Windows
Vista Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate. The Parental Controls panel,
part of the User Accounts and Family Safety Control Panel applet,
centralizes all of the key settings of the Windows Vista Parental
Controls.
Parental Controls does not work on domain-joined machines, such as in a
business environment. This is by design. Therefore, we cannot see the UI
controls on a Windows Vista which has joined domain.

More information, please refer to:
Parental Controls
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/pare
ntalcontrols.mspx

I do understand your concerns. From my point of view, I understand your
feeling and how frustrated when you find that our product cannot meet
your
needs. So, it is my pleasure to help you to reflect your recommendation
the proper department for their consideration.

In addition, please feel free to submit your suggestion on our product to
the following link. Our Product Group reviews the suggestions submitted
by
our customers. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products
and
increase the level of service provided.

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&
ws=search

If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "Scott Townsend" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain
Member
| Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:36:52 -0700
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

| I have a Vista Ultimate install that is part of a AD Domain.
|
| The users that login are AD Domain users. I would like to set up
Parental
| Controls for certain users.
|
| How can I do this?
|
| Thank you,
| Scott<-

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Scott,

Actually, you may try the following steps to enable Parental Controls panel
on a Windows Vista joined domain machine:

- Run gpedit.msc (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Run...)
- In the left-side tree, drill down as follows: Local Computer
Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
Components->Parental Controls
- Set the "Make Parental Controls control panel visible on a Domain" policy
to Enabled
- Exit gpedit
- Log out and back in

The Parental Controls UI will now be visible and may be used on
non-domain-joined accounts.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Scott Townsend" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain
Member
> [...]
| >> ws=search
| >>
| >> If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to contact me.
| >>
| >> Thanks & Regards,
| >>
| >> Ken Zhao
| >>
| >> Microsoft Online Support
| >> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| >>
| >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| >> <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| >> ====================================================
| >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| >> ====================================================
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| >> rights.
| >>

| >> --------------------
| >> Member
| >> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Scott,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:37:07 GMT
| Subject: Re: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain
Member
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

| Hi Scott,
|
| Actually, you may try the following steps to enable Parental Controls
panel
| on a Windows Vista joined domain machine:
|
| - Run gpedit.msc (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Run...)
| - In the left-side tree, drill down as follows: Local Computer
| Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
| Components->Parental Controls
| - Set the "Make Parental Controls control panel visible on a Domain"
policy
| to Enabled
| - Exit gpedit
| - Log out and back in
|
| The Parental Controls UI will now be visible and may be used on
| non-domain-joined accounts.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Scott Townsend" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain
| Member
| | Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:45:38 -0700
| | Newsgroups:
| microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
| |
| | I did find this:
| |

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/08/01/444385.asp
| |
| | Though this only seems to work for Local User Accounts, not domain
| accounts.
| |
| | We have a few of the Owners that have home machine. They are attached
| the
| | Corp Network and are joined to the domain. They allow their Kids to
use
| the
| | machines for homework and the like. They all have email accounts on the
| | Exchange Server, so they are all AD User Accounts. We wanted to have
the
| | Parental Controls on those Accounts.
| |
| | Thanks,
| | Scott<-
| the
| | > use of machines running Vista and Control the Content that they are
| able
| | > to see and other Monitoring in that regard was for the Stay at Home
IT
| | > person who has a few Home Installs of Vista?
| | >
| | > Guess I was the wrong target audience in the Tech Net Class.

Windows
| panel,
| UI

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/pare

| recommendation

| submitted
| products

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&

| so

| | >> |
| | >> |
| | >> |
| | >> |
| | >> |

| |
| |

Scott Townsend

Fine, thank you
"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Scott,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:37:07 GMT
| Subject: Re: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain
Member
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

| Hi Scott,
|
| Actually, you may try the following steps to enable Parental Controls
panel
| on a Windows Vista joined domain machine:
|
| - Run gpedit.msc (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Run...)
| - In the left-side tree, drill down as follows: Local Computer
| Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
| Components->Parental Controls
| - Set the "Make Parental Controls control panel visible on a Domain"
policy
| to Enabled
| - Exit gpedit
| - Log out and back in
|
| The Parental Controls UI will now be visible and may be used on
| non-domain-joined accounts.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Scott Townsend" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain
| Member
| | Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:45:38 -0700
| | Newsgroups:
| microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
| |
| | I did find this:
| |

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/08/01/444385.asp
| |
| | Though this only seems to work for Local User Accounts, not domain
| accounts.
| |
| | We have a few of the Owners that have home machine. They are attached
| the
| | Corp Network and are joined to the domain. They allow their Kids to
use
| the
| | machines for homework and the like. They all have email accounts on
the
| | Exchange Server, so they are all AD User Accounts. We wanted to have
the
| | Parental Controls on those Accounts.
| |
| | Thanks,
| | Scott<-
| the
| | > use of machines running Vista and Control the Content that they are
| able
| | > to see and other Monitoring in that regard was for the Stay at Home
IT
| | > person who has a few Home Installs of Vista?
| | >
| | > Guess I was the wrong target audience in the Tech Net Class.

Windows
| panel,
| UI

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/pare

| recommendation

| submitted
| products

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&

| so

microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords:4347
| | >> |
| | >> |
| | >> |
| | >> |
| | >> |

| |
| |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Scott,

Glad to hear the info helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Scott Townsend" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain
Member
| Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:07:58 -0700
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords

| Fine, thank you
| | > Hi Scott,
| >
| > I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
updates
| > or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
| > know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| > | Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:37:07 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: Parental Controls and Reporting - Vista Ultimate- Domain
| > Member
| > | Newsgroups:
| > microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
| > |
| > | Hi Scott,
| > |
| > | Actually, you may try the following steps to enable Parental Controls
| > panel
| > | on a Windows Vista joined domain machine:
| > |
| > | - Run gpedit.msc (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Run...)
| > | - In the left-side tree, drill down as follows: Local Computer
| > | Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows
| > | Components->Parental Controls
| > | - Set the "Make Parental Controls control panel visible on a Domain"
| > policy
| > | to Enabled
| > | - Exit gpedit
| > | - Log out and back in
| > |
| > | The Parental Controls UI will now be visible and may be used on
| > | non-domain-joined accounts.
| > |
| > | Thanks & Regards,
| > |
| > | Ken Zhao
| > |
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > | Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > |
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > | ====================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | ====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
Domain
| > | Member
| > | microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
| > | |
| > | |
| > |

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/08/01/444385.asp
| > | |
| > | accounts.
| > | |
| > | the
| > use
| > | the
| > the
| > the
| > | |
Monitor
| > | the
| > | able
| > IT

message

| > Windows
Controls
| > | panel,
| > in a
| > the
| > | UI

| > |

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/pare

| > your
| > meet
| > | recommendation

| > product
| > | submitted
| > | products

| > |

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&

| > newsreader
| > | so

Domain

| > microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords:4347
| > | | >> |
| > | | >> |
| > | | >> |
| > | | >> |
| > | | >> |

| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

Hi, Ken Zhao,

I read your reply to some users. I think you may help. So, I write to you.

I have a notebook with Vista Business. The notebook is for the kids' usage.
I want to set up the parental control but can't find how. May you reply to
me?

Thanks.
David

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| >> ws=search
| >>
| >> If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to contact me.
| >>
| >> Thanks & Regards,
| >>
| >> Ken Zhao
| >>
| >> Microsoft Online Support
| >> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| >>
| >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| >> <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| >> ====================================================
| >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| >> rights.

| >> Member
| >> microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |