Parallel Installation: Access Programs/Files

Reaction score
Problem History

1st Issue: deleted spyware, may have deleted something for registry resulting in Windows freezing on startup; no access to computer...just froze at Welcome screen (safe mode, etc...nothing).

Solution: Repaired Registry through Recovery Console. My laptop did not come with a recovery CD, so I used my Windows XP Pro disc to access recovery console. This worked okay, but I could not copy from c:\windows\repair\system as file not available; I had to copy from c:\windows\repair\system.bak, but this worked.

2nd Issue: After repairing registry using the copy method described by MS Article 307545, startup asked which version of Windows I wanted to start. Well, the first installation did not have minit\*.* (forget file..system?). I think I also got a "cannot determine file system of drive" error message. The other installation asked for administrator password (which was blank...none assigned). So, I could not access my computer.

Solution: Parallel InInstallion of Windows XP Pro. There were 2 partitions, so I chose to install on the one missing the system file (Partition 1) and kept the missing password installation (my original Windows XP Home Ed.). So, I deleted the 1st partition, formated it NTFS, and did a new installation. The new installation is on Drive E. I can view Drive C from Windows Explore; all of my old programs, photos, documents, settings, etc. on the C drive.

3rd Issue: I restarted Windows in Safe Mode & changed the files on the C Drive from simple share to allow access of all files by all users (me). Well, there was only one installation from which to chose (XP Pro). Where did the other one end up? Are both E & C drives that I see in Windows Explorer on my physical C Drive? The programs on C drive will not work (drivers missing, incorrect file extensions, etc). I was able to copy everything to my external HD. However, the software for this backup drive is on the C drive. It will not work. I am hopeful that I will be able to access this stuff from the backup drive, even though I just right clicked, copied and saved to the external drive.

I have contacted my laptop manufacturer and purchased a Recovery CD (which should arrive in 7-10 working days).

QUESTION: In the meantime, is there any way I can assure that I have my data saved & accessible on my F drive (external drive) before I do a complete reinstall of the original configuration and software? HELP!!! I am very much a novice & have only gotten this far by reading a LOT in the last few days ! ! ! The external drive (Western Digital USB 2.0 120 GB) may have come with a CD, but I cannot find it. I have contacted their customer support and am still awaiting a response. I can only find a Quick Install Guide, which I believe is all that came with it ???

LESSON LEARNED: If one has a backup drive, one should use it ! ! !

Thanks!
Debi D.
www.keepsake-stables.com

Ask a Question