Panasonic Lumix G2

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
HERE is the new Lumix G2 "Micro Four Thirds Hybrid" by Panasonic ... it looks very tasty piece of kit. Pricey too, of course, but what the heck.... one can dream :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
HERE is the new Lumix G2 "Micro Four Thirds Hybrid" by Panasonic ... it looks very tasty piece of kit. Pricey too, of course, but what the heck.... one can dream :D

A great camera no doubt but in my opinion a bit pricey in the sense that one could build an SLR system to start with if they want to spend that kind of many up front. Just my opinion and others may not agree
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I looked at this post earlier and also had my doubts. A fine piece of kit for sure but somehow too automated and too exclusive to itself, if that makes sense.

For that money I'd want an excellent camera body forming the base of an SLR outfit, and superb lens quality.
Hard to explain where I'm coming from but basically I think if I was spending that money I'd want more choice, more input on the system.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Quad and Flopps, you are both acknowledged experts in matters photographical, so I can genuinely understand your viewpoints. :bow:

You're right. These are undoubtedly hugely expensive cameras... and my piggy-bank is not likely to suffer indigestion from buying one anytime soon:p But, speaking as someone who always used to long for an SLR (way before the days of digital cameras) but never managed to "get to grips" with understanding F-stops, exposures and what-not, this kind of "hybrid" camera appears a lot less daunting. It looks as if the "blurb" is aimed - partly - at folk who are similarly "SLR-challenged." :blush:

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 is cleverly positioned to appeal to two quite distinct markets. Its light weight and the ease of use of its touchscreen will appeal to nervous compact owners eager to try something more powerful without being overwhelmed.

Meanwhile the decent optical performance, manual controls and ability to shoot HD video will appeal to more experienced photographers or people looking for a lighter, more convenient SLR replacement.

Excerpt from the above-mentioned link.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fair points there TC, personal preferences for all I suppose.

Although tbh the majority of DSLR's available now will have a fully auto-mode.

Options, quality, handling - I guess there is a market for this Lumix.

But not pour moi ;)

Ask a Question