PAL v NTSC?

Reaction score
With DVD's whats the difference between the formats PAL & NTSC?
Will both play on a multi-region DVD player?

Reaction score
Thank you V_R.
So does it matter which version you buy to play on on a multi region DVD player?
As the info below gives NTSC as more frames per 2nd, But PAL has more scan lines??

"[FONT=arial, helvetica]NTSC is the video system or standard used in North America and most of South America. In NTSC, 30 frames are transmitted each second. Each frame is made up of 525 individual scan lines.

PAL is the predominant video system or standard mostly used overseas. In PAL, 25 frames are transmitted each second. Each frame is made up of 625 individual scan lines."
[/FONT]

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
it won't matter if you are gonna use a modern TV to view it ... :lol:

If you wanted to watch the BBC, in my day, you needed a TV that could accept 625 lines, a better picture by far than the Yanks fuzzy TV

With the advent of Digital TVs, it's a bit of a mute question ... get Blue-ray. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As Mucks says but FWIW PAL knocks spots off NTSC.

Our colonial cousins were the first to have colour TV. All their TV's also had a 'hue' control initially.

But we waited a bit and together with our former enemies over in Hanover we created the PAL system. Our first colour tellies did not have a 'hue' control.

So we may have been later getting a huge colour box in our living rooms but we could poke our tongues out at our Transatlantic friends and go 'Ner ner, ours is better than yours'.

Google PAL vs NTSC and more specifically 'Hanover Blinds' which is all about scanning and interlacing.

Ask a Question