PAL Capture using firewire

Peter

The problem that I'm having is when trying to capture
video in PAL format from my camcorder the video is
distorted. When running the capture wizard it states NTSC
format. The system does not appear to automatically
adjust to PAL format for input as suggested in the online
documents. I have tried adjusting the video properties
settings to PAL format but that does not fix the problem
either.

I'm currently running Windows XP with service pack 2,
Movie Make version 2.1. I do not remember have this
problem prior to going to services pack 2 and Movie Make
2.1.

Rehan

From the menu select Tools->Oprion->Advanced

Then in Video properties area select PAL

Thomas

Hi,

I have the same problem. Capturing(Firewire) with Win Xp
SP1 is no problem, I have done it many times, however
after installing SP2 the PAL option disappeared from the
capturing menu. I addition the video is distorted.

It does not matter if you go into the options menu and
select PAL, it still only give the NTSC option.

I have been trying to search for a solution on internet,
but no success to far. The only solution that works for
the moment is to uninstall SP2. I have done that twice
now with the same results, back to SP1 and moviemaker
works again.

John Kelly

Hello there,

Not that this helps you ... I capture fine using PAL with Firewire and
Analog ... no problems at all, I have even captured from a dual mode DVD
deck in NTSC without problem. If I remember correctly, the NTSC/PAL switch
found in options only matters when creating a movie which you send either to
hard drive or back to a DV camera, I believe it has no impact on the capture
process at all...the "devcap" is dealt with internally by the program during
the capture process.

The language and region settings will have no effect except when doing
an automatic update of the system and of course when you are using the OS.

What is your actual problem...I don't seem to have your original
message.

Best Wishes.....John Kelly

Problem: After "upgrading" to SP", I can no longer capture from my PAL DV
camera. Before Service Pack 2, I could plug n' play - now, the captured video
is distorted. I believe that MM2.1 assumes that the source is NTSC DV. Sound
plays fine.
I have tried using MM 1.0 and 1.1, they both produce the same, distorted
picture. All of the options for saving in other formats (save for Pocket PC,
for example) produce the same results. Where a video standard is named, it's
NTSC. Not a mention of PAL anywhere.

I'd like to capture using MM, it used to be so easy - before SP2.

PS- Just how many guys in this group are named John?

John Kelly

Hello there,

One of the most significant "features" of SP2 was to rigorously enforce
the standards it tried to set in the bare bones version of XP. This has
caught a lot of manufacturers out. These manufacturers used certain
weakness' in XP in order to achieve their particular aims. In addition to
this certain attempts were made to make Movie Maker more reliable.

With regard to capturing DV video, I was going to tell you that your
description was wrong....then though I had better check anyway and came up
with the following result......

I plugged in my DV camera and went straight to the Capture option and
sure enough it DID say PAL....so...I unplugged the camera and set the
options under tools to NTSC...I then plugged in the camera and went straight
to capture again, and it still says PAL.

So, it seems that Movie Maker 2.1 detects the camera type when you plug
it in (as expected) and the settings for PAL/NTSC in Options are to do with
the format you eventually create. All of that was expected.

So, if Movie Maker now considers your camera to be NTSC when it is
clearly PAL then there must be an error with the firewire card or your
camera or the software (result of installing SP2)

Its your guess as to which is the problem (tongue in cheek) If your
Firewire card is removable my first action would be to remove it making sure
it no longer exists in the device manager as well then reboot a couple of
times so as to ensure XP forgets it and then go through the normal install
of hardware procedure. It might work if you are lucky.

Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk

Kristen Miller [MS]

Hi All --

John's correct -- some changes were made in components below MM to enforce
more rigorous adherence to the standard.

In particular, we found some older DV cameras (The Canon MV20 in particular
comes to mind) that have issues. In this case, the output signal mode
response is broken (it reports MPEG2TS instead of DV). Since MPEG2TS is a
format that MSDV does not support, it default to NTSC/DVSD, causing corrupt
capture in MM.

AFAIK, there is no work around. Yuck.

If you get a chance, please post the make/model of your device. I can't make
any promises, but I can push up the info to the appropriate team to give the
issue some visibility.

Cheers!
-Kristen Miller [MS]
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

quietguy

So, couldn't people capture with something like WinDV? And then bring
the AVI file into WMM?

David

John Kelly said:
[...]

Alas, my camera IS a Canon MV20i, all 16,000 Danish Kroner's worth (1998
price). I wonder how many of these were sold.. nice size, optical stabilizer,
etc.

I would appreciate any effort you can provide to get MS to give me back the
functionality I once had. Could it be so bad to let people roll back to 2.0??
Enforcing standards may be desirable, but this is a movie camera and a
laptop, not a highway and a speeding car....

John "pleeease don't make me reinstall XP AGAIN" Ebbinghaus

John Kelly said:
[...]

Hi Kirsten,

Yes, my camera is a Canon MV20 from 2000. It still works
great and I am disappointed not to be able to use it with
the "latest" more secure windows. As pointed out by John
there must be a large number of these cameras in use.

I would gladly install SP2 when this flaw is resolved,
until then I stick to SP1.

I hope there will be a solution out for this in the near
future.

Best Regards,

Thomas

John Kelly said:
[...]

.

Kristen Miller [MS]

OK --

Here's what I've been told:
MS has the bug marked for a Hotfix, but there's no ETA on when it will be
released.

In the mean time, if you're feeling adventurous, you can try to roll-back to
the old MSDV.sys file.
Be forewarned that this isn't a "supported" workaround, and you are
encouraged to back up your system before proceeding! These steps assume that
you have a machine that has been upgraded from a previous version of XP to
XPSP2 -- If you have a PC with an OEM install of XPSP2, you'll need to find
a friend with the old copy of MSDV.SYS.

Here's what to do:
1. Attach your Canon MV20 to you PC.

2. Uninstall your Canon MV20 drivers as they currently exist:
a. Choose "Start" | "Control Panel" | "System" | "Hardware" Tab |"Device
Manager"
b. Go to "Imaging Devices" | "Canon DV Camera" and right-click; choose
"Uninstall"
c. On the "Confirm Device removal" dialog, choose "OK"
d. DISCONNECT your camera from your PC!!!

3. Now, we need to roll-back your MSDV.SYS file:
a. Reboot your PC into "Safe mode" and log in as the Administrator
account. (You can choose "Safe mode" by hitting the "F8" key during your
PC's boot sequence.)
b. Launch Explorer and navigate to Windows\Driver Cache\i386
b1.Right-click on the "driver.cab" file, and choose "Explore"
b2. Find the old "MSDV.SYS" file (it should have version number
earlier than 5.3.2600.2180). Right-click, and choose copy.
b3. Paste the old MSDV.SYS file into the following directories:
Windows\system32\drivers\
Windows\system32\dllcache\
Windows\LastGood\System32\Drivers
b4. Navigate to Windows\Driver Cache\i386. Find the SP2.CAB and
rename it.
b5. Reboot your PC normally.

4. Once your PC is rebooted, and you've logged in, re-attach your DV camera
to your PC and confirm that the device enumerates in the control panel. If
you've done everything right, you should be able to check the version number
on MSDV.sys via the Control Panel driver details.

Whew! Hope this helps!
-Kristen Miller [MS]

John Kelly said:
[...]

news:065BD856-527D-469E-B9AC- (e-mail address removed)...

:

[...]

news:1C2EA3B8-32F8-4982-8723- (e-mail address removed)...
Ditto. I now have a fine collection of MovieMaker versions, NONE of
which
will capture. I have tried changing the options as suggested by Rehan,
but
no avail. I changed my XP Language and Regional settings in Contol
Panel
too.... it doesn't seem to care if I'm in Belgium, Germany, Denmark,
or
the
United States - All it will capture is NTSC. Makes my PAL stuff come
out
kinda funny....

Suggestions, PLEASE. (Going back to XP SP1 is not an option - it's the
company's computer)

:

Hi,

I have the same problem. Capturing(Firewire) with Win Xp
SP1 is no problem, I have done it many times, however
after installing SP2 the PAL option disappeared from the
capturing menu. I addition the video is distorted.

It does not matter if you go into the options menu and
select PAL, it still only give the NTSC option.

I have been trying to search for a solution on internet,
but no success to far. The only solution that works for
the moment is to uninstall SP2. I have done that twice
now with the same results, back to SP1 and moviemaker
works again.

.

Thomas

Hi and thank you for the quick response and working
solution!

I have tried your suggestion and it worked very well.
My steps:

1) Reinstalled SP2 (Since not installed)
2) Followed your instructions with two exceptions:
Windows\system32\dllcache\
Windows\LastGood\System32\Drivers
I was not able to copy msdv to these diectories as
they did not exist on my computer.
3) Test and everything worked as before.

Thank you for your help, although I hope Microsoft
delivers a "real" fix for this soon.

Best Regards,

Thomas K

Thomas said:
[...]

"John E. Jr." <John E.
[...]

Thank you for your response. A nice way to start a Monday (with a shred of
hope..). Unfortunately, the fix didn't work for me. Both myself and the sys
admin have the same problem, he's been doing the footwork on getting this
resolved. We tried your suggestions, but it still couldn't capture, even when
using MM 1.0 or 1.1.

We capitulated and removed SP2, now the MM 1.1 workd fine, Premiere Pro 1.5
too. Phew! I have a five hour backlog of content to review - it's what I use
to take "technical notes" during discussions with software engineers.

I will monitor this group for news of the proper fix, and wait until such a
time to upgrade(?) to SP2.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Sincerely,
John Ebbinghaus
Technical Writer
CDRator A/S

Thomas said:
[...]

I have a Canon MV20i (PAL Camera) with a false NTSC reading in all capture
programs I tried - not just MM. I spent almost a day looking for this answer.
Kristen u r a star - your answer worked perfectly.

Thanks very much,

Paul

Thomas said:
[...]

Glad to be of service!

I'm still waiting on the "real" fix from MS -- once I have the details on
when/how the hotfix is being released, I'll post the info.

Until then ...

Thomas said:
[...]

"John E. Jr." <[email protected]>
wrote in message
(e-mail address removed)...
[...]

Hi all -- I have a Sony DHR-1000 DV Deck which stopped working well when I
installed XP SP2, and Kristen's fix works for me.

Specifically, Sony Vegas was reporting a Device Communication Error whenever
I tried to do capture or print to tape, although just playing the timeline
back over firewire worked. Movie Maker worked OK, but did not have any
device control available.

I was pointed to this thread by Sony Vegas technical support.

Thanks Kristen!

Bob Nolty