Page Numbering for Figures in double-sided docs

Hans

This isn't a Word-oriented question, per se, but I know there are tech
writers here and I'm striking out in my references and the web!

What is a common protocol for printing duplexed docs that contain 11x17
figures? Should I have no page numbering for the figures and define their
position in the doc as "following page X-X," where X-X is a standard,
numbered 8.5x11 page? Should I put all figures together at the end of each
chapter?

Here's my situation:

I've been asked to print a large report double-sided. The report contains
many 11x17 fan-folded figures, which can only be printed single-sided, and
each figure page currently counts as a page, i.e., has its own page number.
What's happening with the double-sided printing is the odd pages no longer
always begin on the right side.

For example, if after 8.5x11 Page 2-2 I have an 11x17 Page 2-3, the
following 8.5x11 Page 2-4—an even page—falls on the right side of the volume.

I have always been told that, by convention, odd pages must lay on the right.

Any references or suggestions appreciated. I need to be able to support my
decision to change the numbering.

Thank you,

-Hans

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Given that you need section breaks to change the paper size, use an Odd Page
Break, and Word will insist on an odd page number. It will probably insert a
blank (8.5 x 11) page, and I'm not sure how that will work out, but at least
you should get the result you need. What you will *not* be able to do (as
I'm sure you understand) is print page 2-4 on the back of page 2-3, since
they're different sizes; so the only recourse is to bump 2-4 to 2-5 (a recto
page).

Hans

Thanks for the reply, Suzanne.

Unfortunately, the 11x17s are AutoCAD drawings -- they are not incorporated
into the Word doc. I may just move all figures to the end of each chapter...

-Hans

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Since the figures are to be added manually, not included in the Word file, I
think either of your originally proposed solutions would be fine. Putting
them at the ends of the chapters is probably the easiest, but there is also
a convention to refer to "tipped-in plates" (color illustrations on glazed
paper inserted between ordinary noncoated pages in books) as "facing page x"
or "following page x."

Henk57

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Hans" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
Thanks for the reply, Suzanne.

Unfortunately, the 11x17s are AutoCAD drawings -- they are not
incorporated
into the Word doc. I may just move all figures to the end of each
chapter...

-Hans

:
-
[...]

Are you converting the document to pdf at the end of the day? Then
maybe it's an idea to add dummy pages where you want the CAD drawings
to appear, and replace the pages after pdf conversion (in this concept
the CAD drawings are also converted to pdf, separate from the Word
doc). This keeps the page numbering and layout intact (and the TOC
valid) - but you need to number the CAD pages manually.