P4P800-E Deluxe: There's a tool to switch Hyper-Threading?

Peter Wagner

Hi

Since I've re-installed my WinXPpro to enable ACPI-Multiprocessor-PC, my
Scanner CanonScan D1250U2 breaks off the scanning. :-(

I've thought the cause is the installed SP2, but after I've disabled
Hyper-Threading in the BIOS, he scans like my old WinXPpro installation
with ACPI-Singleprocessor-PC.

There's a tool with which one can switch Hyper-Threading on/of under
WinXPpro?
Or is a reboot necessary?

Has anybody heard about software problems like mine connected with HT?

TIA

Rich Elgin

Peter,
I had a similar problem with HotSync which is a sync utiity for Palm PDA's.
HotSync would just at ramdom exit without finishing the sync. I also found
that by turning off Hyperthreading it would work 100% of the time. That was
with Win/XP Pro w/SP1. After I updated to SP2 the program now works with
Hyperthreading ON.
To answer your ofther question I looked around and did NOT find a utitity to
turn off HT. I had to turn it Off/On at the BIOS level. I am quessing that
Windows loads different code at Boot time based on the CPU configuration.
Rich

Louise

[This followup was posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

Peter,
I had a similar problem with HotSync which is a sync utiity for Palm PDA's.
HotSync would just at ramdom exit without finishing the sync. I also found
that by turning off Hyperthreading it would work 100% of the time. That was
with Win/XP Pro w/SP1. After I updated to SP2 the program now works with
Hyperthreading ON.
To answer your ofther question I looked around and did NOT find a utitity to
turn off HT. I had to turn it Off/On at the BIOS level. I am quessing that
Windows loads different code at Boot time based on the CPU configuration.
Rich
Very interesting to read this. I have a Handspring Visor which suddenly
shuts down the system - blue screen with notice that pda.sys did
something bad :)

This has become a serious problem for me and it is making me think about
buying a newer Palm, etc. - just because of the BSODs and the
unpredictability of it.

I've upgraded drivers etc., essentially no change. The frustrating this
is that sometimes it syncs perfectly. I'm running SP1.

Did you get a BSOD or just a failure of the hotsync?

Did you notice any degredation in other performance after turning off
hyperthreading?

TIA

Louise

Rich Elgin

Louise,

With HT on and with SP1 HotSync would just exit out without any errors or
messages.
I searched around the WEB and found a number of other users with the same
problem
but no one even Palm had a solution other than turn off HT. Like I said once
I upgraded
to SP2 HotSync runs normal again with HT on.

I have found that HT does increase the performance of the system when you
are running
multiple programs at the same time. Like running Norton Anti Virus and
burning some CD's
or DVD's the Anti Virus doesn't bog down the system like it use to on slower
systems.

Rich

Louise said:
[...]

Wim Zefat

As far as I know, there's no way to switch hyperthreading on/off from
within Windows. You can however effectively disable hyperthreading for
certain programs only, by telling Windows it should run those programs on
only one processor.

First open the Canon ScanGear scanner-window by starting a scan from some
program, but don't actually start scanning. Then open Task Manager. You
should see ScanGear in the tab Programs. Right-click and choose Go to
process. This switches to the tab Processes and selects the right process.
Right-click on it and select Set affinity. You now get a window showing all
available processors, all of which are selected. Deselect one of them. From
now on, ScanGear will run on one processor only.

No idea whether this'll work as my Canon N1240U (slightly older then yours,
but essentialy the same scanner) works just fine with hyperthreading on and
sp2 installed. Worth a try though, as you can easily reverse this if it
doesn't work - just reselect the second processor.

I assume you've tried downloading and installing the latest updated scanner
drivers and toolbox from Canon?

Succes
Wim

Op Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:33:29 +0100 schreef Peter Wagner:

LeeBos

Perhaps it's something in your scanner setup. I also have a similar scanner, 2
in fact, an LIDE50 and LIDE80. Both work without any problems on Win XP Pro
with SP2.

Subject: Re: P4P800-E Deluxe: There's a tool to switch Hyper-Threading?
From: Wim Zefat "wimz[nospam]"@xs4all.nl
Date: 11/2/2004 5:38 AM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

Thank you very much for your help.
As far as I know, there's no way to switch hyperthreading on/off from
within Windows.

I've supposed this.
You can however effectively disable hyperthreading for
certain programs only, by telling Windows it should run those programs
on
only one processor.

First open the Canon ScanGear scanner-window by starting a scan from
some
program, but don't actually start scanning. Then open Task Manager.
You
should see ScanGear in the tab Programs. Right-click and choose Go to
process. This switches to the tab Processes and selects the right
process.
Right-click on it and select Set affinity. You now get a window
showing all
available processors, all of which are selected. Deselect one of them.
From
now on, ScanGear will run on one processor only.

Thank you very much for this very good hint!
With disabled CPU 1 the program Photostudio 2000 works no. :)
No idea whether this'll work as my Canon N1240U (slightly older then
yours,
but essentialy the same scanner) works just fine with hyperthreading
on and
sp2 installed. Worth a try though, as you can easily reverse this if
it
doesn't work - just reselect the second processor.
OK.

I assume you've tried downloading and installing the latest updated
scanner
drivers and toolbox from Canon?

I think I've got the newest one.
Normally firms doesn't renews software for old scanners.
Succes
Wim

Yes

Peter Wagner

LeeBos said:
Perhaps it's something in your scanner setup. I also have a similar
scanner, 2
in fact, an LIDE50 and LIDE80. Both work without any problems on Win
XP Pro
with SP2.

I think your scanners are newer models.