Overview of Vista File Management vs. XP

ktpardue

Hello,
I am new to this forum and I am pleased there is such a forum to answe
Vista questions. I have owned Vista Ultimate since it came out, but hav
not used it until now. I am trying to get used to the the way Vist
manage files. Can someone succinctly explain why Vista frequentl
denies me the ability to move, copy, cut, and paste files acros
folders? With XP this was never an issue. I am the owner/administrato
of my own network and I believe I have ensured that I have full right
to all operations. Any feedback you can provide me will be ver
helpful.

Thanks,
KT Pardu

Nonny

Hello,
I am new to this forum and I am pleased there is such a forum to answer
Vista questions. I have owned Vista Ultimate since it came out, but have
not used it until now. I am trying to get used to the the way Vista
manage files. Can someone succinctly explain why Vista frequently
denies me the ability to move, copy, cut, and paste files across
folders?

<succinct mode on>

Examples please

Wandering

ktpardue said:
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I am pleased there is such a forum to answer
Vista questions. I have owned Vista Ultimate since it came out, but have
not used it until now. I am trying to get used to the the way Vista
manage files. Can someone succinctly explain why Vista frequently
denies me the ability to move, copy, cut, and paste files across
folders? With XP this was never an issue. I am the owner/administrator
of my own network and I believe I have ensured that I have full rights
to all operations. Any feedback you can provide me will be very
helpful.

Thanks,
KT Pardue

Network administrator is not the same as "administrator" status in Vista,
and even an account with Administrator status cannot do a number of
operations without elevating it's status to full administrator. No user
account, even with "administrator" status actually has this higher status.

Vista, like all modern operating systems does a great deal to improve
security, by not allowing anything running to run as administrator, even an
administrator account, so that if it were compromised by malware, it could
not take over your machine. You could try any flavor of Linux or a Mac, and
today, you'll fine essentially the same ideas. The simple fact is that
almost no one and no software needs full administrator status, and to give
it willy nilly is to open the machine to disaster. It also protects you from
yourself. Sometimes this can be frustrating. In general, you might say that
if the OP is preventing your from moving or altering certain files, it may
well be there is a good reason, and you probably shouldn't be tampering with
them. Of course there are exceptions, but Vista is a complex system, and
overriding it's protections as many do is simply asking for grief. Malware
is far more sophisticated these days, and the scanner software is always
playing catch-up, it is never ahead of the bad guys. This is all simplified,
but that is the drift of it.

There is a learning curve with Vista or any modern operating system. It can
be fun and a useful challenge, or you can give in to frustration because
Vista does not operate like XP. The simple reason is that it isn't XP. I
picked it up in a few weeks, and most of the folks I know did too. Going
back to XP is less and less of an option and sometimes simply not possible
for lack of drivers.. Vista works great for me, and I came from Win98SE,
where you could blow away anything, move anything, and any malware at all
could do whatever it wanted to the machine. I don't miss it. I hope this
helps you.

Good luck.

ktpardue

Nonny;676801 said:
-

[...]

Hi,
Thanks for replying. I will come up with examples and repost.
KT Pardu

NetLink_Blue

ktpardue said:
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I am pleased there is such a forum to answer
Vista questions. I have owned Vista Ultimate since it came out, but have
not used it until now. I am trying to get used to the the way Vista
manage files. Can someone succinctly explain why Vista frequently
denies me the ability to move, copy, cut, and paste files across
folders?

There may be no simple and easy answer to why Vista's file management is
FUBAR'd ( screwed up beyond all repair).

If you Google for terms like Vista/ permissions/ file management ... you
will find all kinds of complaints. And inane MS supporters responses that
basically boil down to -- "deal with it, chump".

I have turned off UAC (User Account Control) on my system, and I still get
glitches with folder operations. Administrator "rights" on your own
computer ( looking down the road into the future) do not really belong to
you. They belong to Microsoft, and the big media corporations that MS
supports. On Vista today, they may be a "Super Administrator" previlage,
though I haven't researched this possible option.

With XP this was never an issue. I am the owner/administrator
of my own network and I believe I have ensured that I have full rights
to all operations. Any feedback you can provide me will be very
helpful.

Thanks,
KT Pardue

You really need to research this for yourself. If you do find a "succinct"
answer that works for you, please share the information. Good Luck.

_ Net

ktpardue

NetLink_Blue;677127 said:
"ktpardue" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

[...]

As a matter of fact, I seem to remember having read somewhere a really
good summary (or so it seemed at the time) of how to deal with Vista's
file management, and I will post it if I find it again. thanks!

Ernst

I understand and appreciate the attempts to protect the system against abuse.
However, it seems to overdo it on a regular basis. As ktpardue I struggle
with this. Why can I save for example a pdf-file in a destination directory
one moment and not the next? All it does is make me crazy, because I have to
copy the pdf to the destination folder after having saved it in the default
location. And this happens 20 times a day. I would really like this resolved
in an update.