Overiding onboard graphics card?

Reaction score
Excuse the erratic spacing, faulty keyboard (to be replaced...).

On to the point, upgraded monitor to a 19" widescreen, native resolution of 1440*900, XP wont register this so assumed the graphics card isnt up to it? Have SiS651 onboard with 32 meg (shared?) memory. Motherboard is P4 Titan GA-8SIMLH-P(-C) with 1*universal AGP slot (2x/4x) device support. Can I install a graphicscard in AGPslot to overide the onboard graphics and so use newmonitor at optimum resolution?

Help appreciated as ever...

Reaction score
You will need to turn off the on-board graphics in the BIOS.
And fit a compatable AGP Graphics Card.
Have a look HERE

Reaction score
Ok, thanks, how do i disable onboard graphics in bios, function key during startup?

Also, you say compatable card, I assume anything thats AGP and not too big to fit in slot will be ok, am only looking at budget card as low spec, non gaming PC so no great big heatsinks or fans to contend with?

Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
Ok, thanks, how do i disable onboard graphics in bios, function key during startup?

Also, you say compatable card, I assume anything thats AGP and not too big to fit in slot will be ok, am only looking at budget card as low spec, non gaming PC so no great big heatsinks or fans to contend with?
Depends what your motherboard is, should be F8 or F10, it may show in start up if your look quickly!
Depends what speed your AGP slot is either x2/x4/x8/x16 may need to look at your motherboard manual or google search it.

Reaction score
Having had a quick look about most cards seem to be "8*", what does this mean as opposed to 2* or 4*? Are they backwards compatable, based on the specs given earlier could someone recommend a specific card (preferably without a powered fan)?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Here you go - with your limited requirements THIS will do the trick :thumb:

Reaction score
What motherboard or system model do you have? Most white box (build your own) type systems use the DEL key or F2 to enter bios setup.

Ask a Question