Output file search results to text file "Is this possible".

pmaths

Is there a application or a way I can get a file search to out put it's
results to a txt file.

Basically - I have a mapped drive to a location on one of our windows
2000 servers. I want to be able to search on this mapped drive "inc
sub dirs" for all files that have not been accessed prior to 06/11/05
and to output the file name / directory structure to a text file. I
don't want to copy the file just list the file name and directory
structure.

If anyone can offer up advice on an application I can use or a dos
script I can run, I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Pete

Jon

The reason I decided to write that, was mainly because <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Is there a application or a way I can get a file search to out put it's
results to a txt file.

Basically - I have a mapped drive to a location on one of our windows
2000 servers. I want to be able to search on this mapped drive "inc
sub dirs" for all files that have not been accessed prior to 06/11/05
and to output the file name / directory structure to a text file. I
don't want to copy the file just list the file name and directory
structure.

If anyone can offer up advice on an application I can use or a dos
script I can run, I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Pete

This command line would go most of the way - listing files not accessed
prior to the start of December 2005, which may be sufficient. Otherwise
you'll need a specially written longer script, if you want things more
precise.

dir /ta /od /s /a-d x: | find /v /i "/2006" | find /v /i "12/2005" | find /v
/i "File(s)" >oldfileslist.txt

(replacing x: with the mapped drive letter in question)

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Pete,

Adding to Jon:

See:

How to print Windows XP Search results to a file ?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/searchresults.htm

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Is there a application or a way I can get a file search to out put it's
results to a txt file.

Basically - I have a mapped drive to a location on one of our windows
2000 servers. I want to be able to search on this mapped drive "inc
sub dirs" for all files that have not been accessed prior to 06/11/05
and to output the file name / directory structure to a text file. I
don't want to copy the file just list the file name and directory
structure.

If anyone can offer up advice on an application I can use or a dos
script I can run, I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Pete

pmaths

Hi - Thanks for the response guys - I've gone with sysexp "works a
treat".

Cheers!!!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

You're welcome!